Good Wreck of NJ for a Newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try East Coast Diving in Northfield (suburban AC) if you are in South Jersey
http://www.eastcoastdiving.com/

We do most of the larger/deeper wrecks but also run a fair number of trips to the more shallow, smaller wrecks; particularly off of Cape May

Classes are available as are weekday and weekend trips. You can see the schedule on the web page

Now, if it would only warm up

ClassAction:
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into this next summer. I noticed (on your website) that you require a pony bottle or doubles for anything deeper than 80'. Could you tell me if there's any traing required for using a pony? Do you learn this in the AOW class? Also, how does someone make the transition into doubles? Thanks a lot!
In regards to a redundant system, we'll explain to you how to use it & configure it. An H-valve DOES NOT constitute a redundant system! Buoyancy with a pony bottle isn't drastically different as long as you're preped on what to do. If you choose to pay the extra $40 and go in with one of use we'll show you all the aspects of a pony as well as explaining doubles, because that's what we dive. As far as additional training, we cover that in our extensive Wreck Course as well as our Deep Diver Course. With both courses we cover well beyond what is required! For more info on that give a call or send an email to the shop.

Now that I think about, the H valve does have drawbacks, I think. I'm a fairly new diver here so bear with me. I'm thinking of getting a PST E7100 for local diving. My LDS stated that the PST comes with a combo DIN/K valve and that on the side there is a fitting I could plug. Later on if I went to doubles I could tie them together using the fitting. He mentioned for the Ice diving class they run dual regs. I suppose you would have a shutoff valve for each reg? If one freeflows you shut down one side? Is this how the H valve is configured, like a Y valve with shutoffs? I'll have to look at the hardware in more detail. I also understand that if you breath down the tank there goes your redundancy as opposed to the pony setup. Any thoughts for a recreational diver going to a steel tank that wants to start doing some beginner wrecks? Pony or valve configuration? One more thing while I'm on the subject, if I plan on doubling up tanks later on down the road should I just buy a E7120? Any thoughts here?

When using a pony, do you need (3) 2nd stages, or can you have just one on your main bottle and one on the pony?

After all if you or anyone else is grabbing that other reg, dive is over anyway, and the pony should be enough for a safe ascent.

Speaking of which, what size pony would you recommend?

RiverRat:
Now that I think about, the H valve does have drawbacks, I think. I'm a fairly new diver here so bear with me. I'm thinking of getting a PST E7100 for local diving. My LDS stated that the PST comes with a combo DIN/K valve and that on the side there is a fitting I could plug. Later on if I went to doubles I could tie them together using the fitting. He mentioned for the Ice diving class they run dual regs. I suppose you would have a shutoff valve for each reg? If one freeflows you shut down one side? Is this how the H valve is configured, like a Y valve with shutoffs? I'll have to look at the hardware in more detail. I also understand that if you breath down the tank there goes your redundancy as opposed to the pony setup. Any thoughts for a recreational diver going to a steel tank that wants to start doing some beginner wrecks? Pony or valve configuration? One more thing while I'm on the subject, if I plan on doubling up tanks later on down the road should I just buy a E7120? Any thoughts here?

I am not sure if the PST tank valves have a connection for an isolator valve. If so, this is new. I dive all PST tanks and when I doubled mine, I bought a manifold and just stored the standard valves. I do know that the new tanks have the combo DIN/K valve which is not bad if you haven't switched your regulators to DIN yet. This way you won't have to buy new tank valves later.

I would buy at least 2 tanks if you are going to buy them. This way you have a matched set when you double them later. Besides, you plan on doing more than one dive on a boat, yes?

And yes, you will be using two regulators when you dive doubles. I would also buy the largest tank size you can. I went with the 100's when I went to doubles and reget it now because of the diving I am doing I could really use the 120's. I have 3 120's that I used for single and I am having a tough time trying to get match for the older 120 which they do not make anymore.

DSAO

Hey NEWreckDiver, thanks for the info! Maybe I will get 2 tanks then. And like you say, going local I'll need 2 tanks for the boat anyway. I hear that the 120's may be better to double up than the 100's? Better trim?

RiverRat:
Hey NEWreckDiver, thanks for the info! Maybe I will get 2 tanks then. And like you say, going local I'll need 2 tanks for the boat anyway. I hear that the 120's may be better to double up than the 100's? Better trim?

Glad I can help. I don't know about trim, but you won't be making the same mistake I did. I was worried about the weight and not the gas volume like I should have been.

Enjoy yourself and dive safe.

I am justing looking at our dive schedule for this season and I am getting very excited.

RiverRat:
hp 120's isn't always the best way to go. There are a couple of factors that go into deciding what tank is best. Main one being your air consuption, what's your SAC rate. Secondly we look at the build of the person diving them. I perfer lp cylinders over hp ones. The hot new tank out is the PST E8-119. Same size as a lp faber 98 but rated to 3442 psi, which gives you 119 cu.ft. of gas. It's a short fat tank and a lot more managable tank. They also come with Thermo valve that are really sweet! For some peopl it's more gas than they will ever need so you may not have to go that route. This is a tough decsion, try to make the right choice the first time. If you have anymore question on this contact me through my website!
www.thescubaconnection.net

RiverRat:

not sure why they would be better to double. but i like them definitely better for singles diving because of the greater volume. i'll get two 120s and may or may not double them up.

I'm still trying to decide between 100s or 120s. I'll use them as singles at first, but will eventually double them. I'm a little guy, so I think the 120s may be a little big for me to handle as doubles.

On the other hand, if I'm going to keep up with Martin, I may need to go for the 130s!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom