GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

it is actually a Flat Port without any diopter. So it does not change the pictures size. It only reffers to the optical light breaking point from water to air. So optically it will do the same picture distortion as the dome lens, but with a sharp image. All underwater images will be distroted in that way. This is related to the physics of water.

If you would put the flat lens into the dome lens the focus will drop again. The main issue on the blurred image in the hero hd is the fact that the light coming from the water is hitting the dome port first.

Hi
Thanks, no diopter, but the picture size will increase when you change from a Dome to a Flat port. The subject will look 25% closer through a flat port than through a dome port at the same distance. I just bought the GoPro housing the dome port is too small in size for that wide angle lens. The eye of mine is the same flat port. I may just buy the Gopro camera and place it in an old Ikelite SLR housing with a 6 inch dome port.

Last edited:
I am really liking all this video correction on the Go Pro. I love my camera, use it from scuba diving to driving shot in my car, to everything in between. Just wish the underwater shots were a bit more crisp, otherwise I love this camera!

@TSwain,

there is only one filter. It is a light orange which did turn out to work good for both. I did some testing with different colours for my DSLR Camera and I used this colour in all different types of water already. It is actually a filter gel which is also used for stage lighting. I do have a contact to one of the manufactures and they do this very special mix for me.

regards

Patrick

Hey guys
Ive made another kind of fix for the GoPRO
Check it out HERE
Inexpensive and it works really well, without changing the housing in anyway

Hi all,

I recently got a GoPro Hero HD and just got the flat lens fix from GoProFocus.com and already have it installed. I'm itching to get out in the water here later this afternoon to see how well it works. I won't quite be going deep enough to warrant using the color correction filter just yet, but I'll let you know how it works when I do.

One thing I did spot right off was that the lens had a small scratch upon arrival. Not sure if it will be noticible in the final product yet or not, but as a photographer by day, it cought my attention right away.

Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom