GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R3 720p 60fps is the desired setting to use underwater hand held, comes out a lot smoother then R5.

....the flat lens insert is a no brainer since it's FREE when you buy the GoPro from Mako or Pursuit. As long as you shoot in full resolution 1080p (r5 mode) you will not have any vignette. The Blurfix does offer advantages, but why not start with the free lens 1st and buy the Blurfix later if you are not happy with the free lens ?
Yes its a no brainer, IF you don't mind the periscope effect in 4 out of the five modes.. not to mention photos that look like crap too. Frankly the flat lens insert is not worth the time I took to install it (all 5 minutes of it). You can have mine for $20 (+ shipping) if you want it.

For more info on Blurfix see: GoProUser.freeforums.org • View topic - BlurFix Brand Underwater Adapter

Not only will it look good above water also you have the option of using the filter of your choice for even better results.
If it's not everything it's described to be after I get mine I will add a post here.

I don't know, disappointed that all the drop in lenses have that vignette effect, and to be honest the blurfix lense looks bigger/bulkier than the camera I'd be worried about having it caught on something if using it elsewhere such as out of water etc, and the water and desecant beads in the "colored filter lens" gives me pause, just seems like more of a hasel to deal with. Also as I understand it you get less jumpy footage if you shoot in 720 but get that vignette effect with the drop in lenses :(. I called gopro today to ask where they were on making their own lens and got the same old run around of "we're developing it, no clue on a time line for it coming out". GRR! We should start a campaign of calling every day for it, perhaps it will make them step up the pace, as I understand it from reading, this problem has been around for quite a bit!

I don't know, disappointed that all the drop in lenses have that vignette effect, and to be honest the blurfix lense looks bigger/bulkier than the camera I'd be worried about having it caught on something if using it elsewhere such as out of water etc, and the water and desecant beads in the "colored filter lens" gives me pause, just seems like more of a hasel to deal with.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you mostly want to scuba with it, it seems that Blurfix is a good way go. If you mostly want to do motor sports, or similar, the stock housing would be fine. If you mostly want to do both and maybe more I would say you need more than one housing. But of course you know that it takes more effort to get good video underwater; that Desiccant is pretty much universally used in underwater housings and that you might need to replace the O rings on the shutter and power buttons also after a year or so of regular use.

Just DIR :wink:

As for the calling campaign.. just let your money do the talking. When they see the sales of non-OEM solutions GoPro will react accordingly. Right now I expect they think its too small a market to worry about.

After thought: The Bluefix, among others, does add some weight so it might be a small concern with some mounts such as the suction cup.

I have the Maco and the EOM and love them both, but I don't like how easy they can scratch...I just ordered the BlurFix today and will see how that does. I pretty much only use it for diving and only shoot in 1080p so most of the issues above don't matter to me. I like the screw on filter though...that's a huge plus!

I have the Maco and the EOM and love them both, but I don't like how easy they can scratch...I just ordered the BlurFix today and will see how that does. I pretty much only use it for diving and only shoot in 1080p so most of the issues above don't matter to me. I like the screw on filter though...that's a huge plus!
What you will love is being able to use Diopter lens screw ons +4 so you can use your go pro to find Nemo! set that up with a tripod in 1080p over an anemone with some clowns willing to perform and you got some footage that you can "show"!

R3 720p 60fps is the desired setting to use underwater hand held, comes out a lot smoother then R5.

That is certainly what I've noticed from my experience as well, and not just underwater. Anything where fluid movement is a desired effect comes out much nicer at R3, less chance for motion blurring. I with we would have come to this realization BEFORE we mounted Heros at the airshow...

I have been using the Mako lens for some time now with great results, but have also been disappointed with the vignetting and tendency to scratch. I looked into another as a backup and it looks like their prices have gone up:

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mgphl.htm

I'll have to check out the Blurfix option. Anyway, heres some good goPro HD footage I shot earlier this year while swimming with Blue Sharks off the coast of San Diego. I was out there with Michael Kazma and Ocean Explorers, edited with iMovie:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1869325766422[/video]

Yes its a no brainer, IF you don't mind the periscope effect in 4 out of the five modes.. not to mention photos that look like crap too. Frankly the flat lens insert is not worth the time I took to install it (all 5 minutes of it). You can have mine for $20 (+ shipping) if you want it.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have one. Took me 5 minutes too and I'm very happy with it and I only shoot in R5 full resolution 1080. I do have a much more advanced UW video system for serious shooting. But for casual fun stuff, the GoPro+Mako Lens+drop in filter works great.

One thing we can all agree on. It's nice to have options. Especially since they are all relatively affordable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom