Gotta love that Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I didn't think about that

So, now we've got three solid reason to carry a pony bottle:

1. When solo diving in a single cylinder beyond CESA depths

2. When diving with new buddies

3. When diving cold water in a single cylinder, where the possibility of freezing a reg exists

For me, it is for solo dives.

I may be a grumpy old guy but I am not so closed-minded and self-centered to think that others might have a good reason also.

I do have a question for you Dr Wu.

Why do you seem to enjoy baiting others so much?

Please tell me why you feel you need a Pony?

It cannot be for proper gas management issues.

If gas were to become short you would have a proper buddy easily reachable and be prepared to share things properly. So why the pony?

It cannot be because you fear equipment failure. If that was a problem during the dive there are several ways to sort out that issue way before you have to resort to a tank you really cannot say will work or not. (and no, you have no idea if it will work when you need it)

It cannot be because you think your buddy will be unhelpful during the dive. If that were the case you should not have done the dive in the first place. (and you MUST know that to be true)

You know it is not a way to extend bottom time.

So why do you do it?

:troll: much?

DR WU..I'm with you and I dont think you are a troll to take the position. I agree

Another solo diver-I was starting to rething my use of a pony recently and then I had an o-ring blow on my tank-emptied real quick. At that point I decided that yes, a pony is a great idea when solo diving.

The drug of choice for me is a single 10 lit/300 steel+ a 3lit/232 alu-pony on a bungycord.
In case of a freeflow (not that uncommon diving in scandinavian waters...) I will have 600 lit+ ready-to-use air inches from my mouth. No crane to manipulate behind my head. No buddy to reach for in zero visibility.
The pony will take safely to the surface from my max depth (30m).
Here in sweden, allmost everybody worships the mighty double-12 but I have come to a different sollution for a safe equipment setup.

And by the way, it's ok to take your pony with you as cary-on luggage!

Attachments

• ponyflight2.bmp
    195.2 KB · Views: 74
It cannot be because you think your buddy will be unhelpful during the dive. If that were the case you should not have done the dive in the first place. (and you MUST know that to be true)

This is patently false. Having a secondary air source means that you are less dependent on a buddy. Many people travel or dive without a dedicated buddy (like me). The insta-buddies I am paired with may be fantastic divers, but I am not putting my LIFE in the hands of a stranger. By your logic I must retire from the sport - by my logic I take a few extra precautions to make myself feel safe.

Also, I really don't understand your anti-pony rhetoric. For $500 I can give myself back-up against a variety of regulator or second stage issues. Its called Insurance.

Please tell me why you feel you need a Pony?

So why do you do it?

In NJ, when diving off a boat in the Atlantic, you are generally not allowed to dive without a redundant air supply. And no, your buddy doesn't count.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom