Graceful surf entries/exits..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did a quick search on 'shore entries' and found some stuff to get you started.

Entering the water when shore diving

Surf Entries and Exits

Getting through Rough Surf?

Some good stuff, but remember that you need to evaluate conditions and locations and use your own judgement. I have called more than a few dives before they started due to conditions. The ocean is very dynamic and what is happening before the dive starts can and will change. I have entered in 3'-4' surf and came out to 6'-8' surf and it's a lot tougher getting out of the water with all your gear on than it is getting in the water.

Robert Phillips:
Did a quick search on 'shore entries' and found some stuff to get you started.

Getting through Rough Surf?

QUOTE]

Yikes! The 'getting through rough surf' thread made me realize that I have a *lot* to learn! I've been entering the water with an inflated bc for fear of getting knocked over by a wave & not being able to get back above water.. but it makes a lot of sense to enter with a deflated bc now that I read through the thread. The embolism caused by having a regulator in your mouth while entering/exiting- nobody seemed to know if that was fact or urban legend. I was taught to put my reg in when in rough surf & to breathe around it; only use it as needed. Exhaling through the reg while going under a wave is good advice- I hadn't even thought about that before. Ahhh, the joys of being a newbie :lol2: Thanks for the good info that you looked up!

MissyP:
:laugh: I guess I should look on the bright side- maybe I'll meet some new dive buddies if I provide the "entertainment"? Watching the other divers at Shaw's Cove & La Jolla this weekend made me realize that everyone will take the plunge in the surf sooner or later.. Nothing to be embarrassed about- just laugh it off :biggrinpi
I had a class at La Jolla this past Sunday, Missy. It could well have been one of my students you were being entertained by.

Out of ten: 8 did fine, but 2 decided they wanted to hang out in the surf zone. I had to come to their aid, but one had already lost her mask and fin and the other had lost her fin.

It sucks to lose gear... and the surf wasn't even that bad, but it goes back to two things: Always listen to your instructor (then do what he sez) and the sport of diving usually requires a decent level of fitness. If those two reqirements aren't met (at a minimum) then things can and do go wrong!

Cheers,

Bill

Video Diver:
I had a class at La Jolla this past Sunday, Missy. It could well have been one of my students you were being entertained by.

Out of ten: 8 did fine, but 2 decided they wanted to hang out in the surf zone. I had to come to their aid, but one had already lost her mask and fin and the other had lost her fin.

Cheers,

Bill

Oh, don't get me wrong- I don't laugh at other divers' "misfortunes".. I empathize! hehe :LIFSAVR:
Haven't lost any gear yet (knock on wood).

MissyP:
Oh, don't get me wrong- I don't laugh at other divers' "misfortunes"

Just give it time.....

Seriously, after you get some more experience you'll find yourself observing others to see if they need help, not to laugh, but it can make for interesting stories.

Tobin

MissyP:
Do they exist?? As a new diver in coastal California, I'm getting frustrated with doing shore dives because I always seem to end up on my rear end in the surf....Does dealing with the surf get easier with time & experience, or am I doomed to be a boat diver?

I might have 50 o 60 beach dives in. I still get knocked down now and then. but
yes it does get easier. Just watch the local surfers. The trick is to do it a lot. get out there
at least once a week.

One thing you might try is to go to the beach with just snorkling gear. No tank or weights. Spend a good long time in the surf getting in and out. It is much easier with out the tank and weights. You need to lean about waves and using the water to _help_ you and use the forces
in the water you advantage. It is only natural for humans to be comfortable in an environment in which they have spend a lot of time in.

Most experianced beach divers carry the fins in one hand untill past the surf zone then lean back, floatng on back to do a figure four and put the fins on. Some other things you will see them (and surfers) do is to _not_ take the force of a wave face on. Stand sideways to the smaller ones, feet speard out and "duck" the larger ones, Just bend way down and let the wave go over the top of you. That white foammy stuff will knock you down if it hits you straight on but under the water it is calm. The wave passes in five seconds, you stand up and continue walking. Put the fins on before the water is to deep to stand in.

Tip when getting out. Pick a good depth the remove the fins. If to shallow you can fall over while standing on one foot, I deeper water you can pick up a foot and float. So you want water depth you can stand in but still float in. In the surf zone the watr depth changes with every passing swell and wave so _timming_ is everything.

The best advice I've gotten about diving is "it should be easy". If you are working hard you need to find a way to avoid that and relax. Once in waist deep watr you can float and the weight of the equipment disappears. use that to advantage and do the fin on/off routine leeting the watr support your weight. It's a matter of timming if the water is the wrong depth, wait a few seconds or move.

One importent thing: keep the reg in your mouth while in the surf zone and if you do get dropped and rolled hold on to mask and reg like they told you when learnning about the "giant straid"entry. The best way to get up after a knockdown is in deeper (three or four feet) water so wait for another wave to just pass and raise the water level s you can use "float" to lift your and the gear up.

One other tip. To avoid loosing a mask you can put the strap on _under_ your hood. A little hard to do with a snorkle but it works. Later whaen out past the surf fix it with mask outside hood.

ChrisA:
One thing you might try is to go to the beach with just snorkling gear. No tank or weights. Spend a good long time in the surf getting in and out. It is much easier with out the tank and weights. You need to lean about waves and using the water to _help_ you and use the forces
in the water you advantage. It is only natural for humans to be comfortable in an environment in which they have spend a lot of time in.

All good points, the above is great. Unless you've spent lots time body surfing, getting to "know" the surf zone is a very good idea.

Tobin

When I lived in San Diego, I wasn't yet certified for Scuba, but I was an avid surfer and snorkeler. Though I haven't gone through heavy surf in full scuba gear, I have gone through a lot of rough surf in snorkel, masks, and fins. I'll throw in my 2 cents and hope this helps:

-Waves come in sets, and there's usually a pause between sets. Before you go in the water, watch the beach for five minutes or so. You'll notice the waves come in groups of 5 to 10. You'll see, say, 5 waves roll in, then 2 minutes of calm, then 5 more waves, then 2 more minutes of calm, and so on. After you get the set down, time your entry so that you go in at the end of a set, then kick like all hell to get as far out as possible before the next set rolls in.

-Swim out through a rip current. Any beach with waves over 2 feet has a rip somewhere. If you swim out through the rip, you won't have to deal with waves tumbling you, and you'll get pushed out to sea with very little effort.

-Avoid waves' breaking points (also knowns as lips). Swells will just pick you up and set you back down. Whitewater will push you toward shore and shake you a bit. Breaking lips will tumble you like socks in a dryer. If you see a swell with a little bit of whitewater at the top, that's the lip. Swim left or right to avoid it.

-Buy a big (8 foot or more) surfboard (you can get them used for $100) and catch a few waves. The best way to master heavy surf, is to surf!

Okay, I'm with you so far....
My family has been diving for a couple of years now in the OK-AR-MO area. After a grand total of two shore dives at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida, I've been able to gear up and get into the ocean. The problems start on getting back out.
I can do the crawdad shuffle up to the shallows. I can take off my fins, probably remove my pocket weights (didn't think of that.) But my oldest daughter and I floundered in the gentle surf, unable to get back on our feet!
It was funny at the time, and my husband and youngest daughter came back and helped us get our gear up the beach, but I really don't want that sand-caked effect on the regs and BC buttons again.
On our second dive I stayed in the water while my husband climbed up the beach, removed his BC, and came back for mine. Basic problems: too much weight to regain footing in shallow water, and an uneven shore surface which could lead to a fall. And this is in a mild surf.
My weighting was 15 lbs (4 non-ditching, 4 in each weight pocket, 3 in a belt) with an AL63. Kim had 14 lbs (4 non-ditching, 5 in each pocket) and an AL80.

Trisha:
I can do the crawdad shuffle up to the shallows. I can take off my fins, probably remove my pocket weights (didn't think of that.) But my oldest daughter and I floundered in the gentle surf, unable to get back on our feet!
As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, it's easier to stand up if you are in waist to chest high water. But if you do end up in very shallow water, just crawl out on all fours as if that's how you always planned it :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom