Grand Cayman in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DLR06

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Coming to Grand Cayman in June. Staying at Cobalt Coast on the N.W. side. I'm bringing my daughter who is a diver and my wife who is not. We will be there for 5 nights and I was wondering if I would need a rental car or is there sufficient public transport. Also, are there any good books / magazines about the island. We just returned from Hawaii and the book Maui Revealed was a blessing. Thanks for any info.

:D Thrilled to be diving!!!

You will want a rental car. Cobalt Coast and DiveTech is a good operation, but like Ocean Frontiers down the East End, it is a little out of the way when it comes to other attractions on the island.

Get a rental car, then you can drive to Seven Mile Beach, explore the island, etc, etc.

New Holland's Dive Guide to the Cayman Islands by Lawson Wood is a good guide book to check out.

Mark

We always get a rental car. It lets you venture out to some of the other dive sites whenever you want. We were there last week staying at the Spanish Bay, which I think is in the same area. Every inersection that you come too there is a sign directing you to the Cobalt Coast, but they never seem to take you there. Its also lots of fun driving on the left side of the road, especially when the steering wheel is on the right. Have a great trip.
Johnny

Hi,

To add to the chorus: rent a car! You will feel very confined if you do not.

If you have never driven on the left hand side of the road, you will have to focus a bit more and be somewhat more cautious at intersections. Looking both ways will never be more important!

joewr

I used to live just by where cobalt coast is now, you are 9.5 miles from mid way down seven mile beach (used to bike to work and back each day). You are 28 miles to Oean Frontiers and at least an hour by car.

Get a car....

You're going to want to rent a car. We thought we'd get by with the bus(van) system and taxis. 2nd day there we rented a car. And we stayed on South SMB. From Divetech everything is a drive, they even take you to their boat with a van if you're diving with them. And there's nothing nearby, it's in a mostly residential area.

The nearest restaurants - besides Cracked Conch at their Turtle Reef location - are back on SMB. And Georgetown, the airport etc. has to be 20min or so away with traffic. And if you want to shoredive, most sites are driving distance apart.

I also bought the Lawson Wood book, it had a lot of insights. Not the most current though as I recall. Lately I'm buying the Lonely Planet guides (Amazon) not sure if they have one for Cayman.

I echo cerich, get a car....

Yep, get a car. We've usually gone with Andy's, but check around for the best deal. Also double check with Cobalt Coast. On occasion in the past they've offered deals that included a rental car or maybe a discount on one.

With a non-diver in your group, you'll probably want to spend time in the afternoons checking out Georgetown, maybe driving to the East End, wandering around the Seven Mile Beach area. If you are on CC's full meal plan, you won't need the car for dining so much, but if you aren't on the full plan, then the car will be useful in getting around to restaurants. Also, having a car will let you drive to one of the grocery stores in the vicinity and you can pick up some snacks, sodas, beer, etc. (Rooms at CC have refrigerators).

Finally, having a car is great for getting over to Turtle Reef for afternoon or night dives. Its just a five minute drive.

Check out Andy's, they typically are the least expensive rental cars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom