Grand Cayman shore diving and east side lodging questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every operator does pretty much the same plan in AM, one wall then second dive either top of another wall or a shallow. They all use the same sites so diver experience not a big determinant as to where they go. Conditions determine sites.

Wall to Wall Ambassador and DNS all have a pretty experienced clientele. I like Giles at Wall to Wall too, but he rarely goes out in the boats. Only dove with Living the Dream once so can't comment on experience levels. I think you would be happy with any of the operators you listed. They all allow computer profiles and do not rush their divers. Cayman is a competitive market so they all have to be at the top of their game and be service driven. Pretty much every operator on GC will leave you on your own after they have watched you for a few dives.

We rent a car so the gear stays in the trunk between boat diving in the AM and shore diving in the PM and night. Good rinse in the evening and a good soak at the end of trip. I do not want anyone else cleaning my gear, or for that matter, setting it up. Always do it myself.
For me, hauling the gear around and looking after it is just part of the sport.

Posted this a minute ago on wrong thread... sorry

Ok, so here's what I'm thinking. Fly into Grand Cayman Sat, Apr 25. Stay at Compass Point Friday night and Saturday night. Dive with OF one day. (Package includes a rental car during stay, and will allow us 2 night stay). Monday head over to SMB Marriott and stay there and dive with Wall to Wall Tues-Thurs with some possible shore diving and head home Saturday. Thanks for all of the input. Any thoughts on my plan are appreciated.

Good plan. You will have a great time. The only thing I would do differently would be to squeeze in a second AM dive with Ocean Frontiers Monday AM, then head to west side of island.

Here's my itenary : May 31-7 Morrit's diving w Ocean Frontier. JUNE 7-12 Southern Cross in Little Cayman. JUNE 12-17 Cobalt Coast w Divetech for boat diving while hubby is doing his Advanced courses. I will met up w him for the unlimited shore dives.

Here's my itenary : May 31-7 Morrit's diving w Ocean Frontier. JUNE 7-12 Southern Cross in Little Cayman. JUNE 12-17 Cobalt Coast w Divetech for boat diving while hubby is doing his Advanced courses. I will met up w him for the unlimited shore dives.

Wow. that's quite an itinerary, sounds great to me and I hope you have a blast!
East side:

I finally finalized my plans for GC. I added a couple days to take advantage of the East side. Here it is...

Sat Apr 25-27th, we are staying at the Compass Resort and diving with Ocean Frontiers Sun and Monday.

Monday April 27- Sat May 2 Marriott Resort on SMB. I've booked diving for the week with Giles at Wall to Wall. They have been great communicating with me about what I want to do and are holding spots and said we can change around when we get there. I booked morning dives with them for Tues-Fri and a night dive. We discussed maybe doing the 3 dive trip one day as well. They seem very accomodating and seemed like they would really work with you based on what you want to do.

My flight, hotels, and dives are booked!!! woot! Now I'll be soliciting dining suggestions. We don't eat much during the day and we never eat breakfast before diving. We pretty much like to eat a great dinner. Doesn't have to be fancy but great food.

Thoughts on my plan are appreciated and welcome.

I've been staying at Morritt's all week and diving with Tortuga Divers. The boats were a bit crowded on two days, but most days we've only had 10 divers total on the boat. Their boats are set up pretty well for accommodating that many divers and the crews have been great every day. They've been running two boats each morning, separating the more experienced divers from the beginners. We've had our choice of dive sites each day with the crew allowing us to pick before we depart. I haven't checked out any other operators, but when I come back to GC, I wouldn't hesitate to dive with Tortuga Divers again for East End diving.

I can't believe it's finally here! We leave tomorrow at 7 am to head to Grand Cayman.
So the itinerary is...
Sat-Mon Staying at Compass Point/Diving with OF
Mon-Sat Staying at the Marriott Resort/Diving with Wall to Wall Tues-Fri, doing a night dive, and the 3 tank dive if available. Possibly doing Stingray City
Based on recommendations here, we are planning to stop and do a shore dive at Turtle Reef on our way to the East Side.

Looking for any final recommendations for must eat restaurants/activities. We usually dive in the morning and have the afternoon free, unless we do a night dive. Thanks for all of the help and recommendations!!!

Back
Top Bottom