Grand Cayman- Sunset House or Sunshine Suites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aupilot07

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I are going to Grand Cayman February 6th for a week. We are trying to figure out if we should stay at Sunset House and dive with them, or stay at Sunshine Suites and dive with Red Sail Sports. Does anyone have any info on either of these places, or any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for places to eat while visiting. And, any suggestions on things to do and places to see. Thanks for any input.

Sunshine suites is a much better location both for the beach and restaurants/nightlife. Whilst not on the beach it is directly across the road from one of the best stretches of Seven Mile Beach and has many bars and restaurants within walking distance.
Why would you dive with Red Sail Sports? Is there a good package for diving with them at Sunshine suites? Check out one of the many small group dive operations who are normally better value and with more personalised service. Most dive operations will pick you up from any hotel on the beach. Red Sail are a good operation but do take big groups and as a result tend to cater to the lowest denominator in term of their diving.
Hope this helps.

CJ

I vote Sunshine suites! Stayed there quite a few times before moving to GC and loved it. However, it you want to do lots of shore dives and be "at the dive site", Sunset is the place.

I have dove with Red Sail a few times and have no complaints.

Have a great time.
Dove today. Water is 80 degrees right now.

M.

Sunset House - walk out of room, grab gear from locker, and wander down to the boat which leaves from on site (unless you are doing North Wall or Stingray dives), or else grab a tank and dive in for shore diving. My Bar is a superb place to while away an afternoon - just don't interfere with the domino games. Sunset House is about a mile south of downtown George Town, walking distance but be warned there are no sidewalks for much of that.

Sunshone Suites - feels much more modern. Need to have dive operator pick you up for boat diving (most operators will at no charge) or take rental car to a shore diving site. Schlep gear back and forth if you are shore diving, otherwise perhaps your boat operator can store it for you? The bar serves some of the BEST burgers on the island. You are within easy walking distance to more restaurants and shops.

A bit of a toss up. Choose based upon which is more important for you.

We've stayed at Sunshine Suites and enjoyed the ease of walking over to 7MB. Also walking distance for many eating places. Can't comment on Sunset house.

d-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom