Grand Cayman Water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use to live in Cayman so here are some temps for you;

01 April: Air=95 // water=77
08 April: Air=87 // Water=78
15 April: Air=79 // Water=79
22 April: Air=84 // Water=80
29 April: Air=88 // Water=79

Highest air temp in April was 95, water temp was 81 (shallow dive inside the barrier reef)
Lowest air temp in April was 76, water temp was 76 (55' dive)

All the temps are between the hours of 08:00 and 16:00.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris!, Do you know what year that was? It seems that I'm getting posts of higher temps from recent travelers so maybe this is an exceptionally warm year?? I know the air temps have been. I always expect the tourism people to give higher than real temps but I rely on my buds here on the board for the real deal!:D

Cobalt Coast .. But still have my options open. It was a toss up between the two, but didn't like the idea of using 72 cf tanks.

Reeeally? I'm going with a group and no one told me of this!:shakehead:
My tank of choice is a 100cf but I really expected al80's. I'm gonna call and see if I can request them at an extra charge!:confused:

Reeeally? I'm going with a group and no one told me of this!:shakehead:
My tank of choice is a 100cf but I really expected al80's. I'm gonna call and see if I can request them at an extra charge!:confused:
Yep reeeeally.. . DiveTech @ Cobalt Coast does have 80's as standard and 100's but the additional cost for 100's is $15/tank
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...uld-you-pay-rent-100cf-tank-vs-80cf-tank.html

I might go for them on the first dive of the day. With Nitrox they are $18 each.

LI Diver,

I was living there in 2004. The water temps do not very a whole lot from year to year. Of course air temps can.

Many recorded temps depend on the calibration of computers and dive watches. I use to have a Suunto as well as an Uwatec and they could differ as much as 4 degrees. I found my Uwatec was more accurate than my Suunto and the temps I posted are from my Uwatec.

Of course the temps posted by everyone are irrelevant in terms of how you deal with 'cold' or 'warm' water. According to my logs, on the first dive I did not use a wetsuit, but on the second boat dive I wore a 3mm. Some of our repeat customers wore 7mm during the winter when the water temp was 75/76.

Also, I've noticed postings regarding 72's vs 80's. Keep in mind 80's are actually 77.7 cubic feet, therefore, there is only a 5.3 difference in volume of air. Not a "huge" difference, but I will agree with the fact that everyone is paying a fair amount for their dives and would prefer to have to AL80.

Chris

We were there last year about the same time you will be there...temps were in the low 80's. Depth did not make much of a difference at all. Yes, Sunset only offers the 72's, but it is enough to surface swim out to the "wreck", navigate over to the mermaid, and check out the reef. It was our last dive of our vacation. A nice way to end.
Have a great time!

Thanks for all the info everyone! I was also wondering am I likely to encounter any strong currents while doing the boat or shore dives from sunset??

Thanks for all the info everyone! I was also wondering am I likely to encounter any strong currents while doing the boat or shore dives from sunset??

Grand Cayman is known for not having many strong currents. The short answer is: the current is highly unlikely to be strong enough to prevent you from diving.

I never encountered any strong currents, but one day mid-week the morning dives were beautiful and glass like, then around 1:30 the waves came up from out of the blue. This is a pic from just to the right of Don Fosters Dive Center (about 3/4 from sunset house).

DFDive.jpg

I think my favorite part of this day (other than the dives) was when the wife, kids and I were walking downtown to get an early dinner, a bunch (like thousands) of cruise ship passengers were stranded cause the tenders couldn't run in the high waves. One man in particular was standing in line to get on the tender, that wasn't running complaining that he was going to miss his ship depart. He was really angry, there were thousands of people stuck on the island, the ships were not going anywhere without their passengers. He was in friken paradise, standing in the hot sun yelling, with a bar not 15 feet away.

I told him...(from CA so I talk like this)

Dude...nobody is going anywhere, your ship isnt goint to leave you. go to the bar, have some drinks, if the line starts moving walk back over here and get on your boat.

His face lit up, like "you are the smartest man in the world!" he left the line and I hope enjoyed the rest of his day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom