GUE and Sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

absolutely .. why i find them annoying (both agencies )

Does GUE teach Sidemount? Or is it all backmount doubles?

UTD and the UTD Z-system is as close as you can get: a side mount configuration with an isolator manifold, main regulator and a backup regulator on a necklace.

UTD uses an isolator manifold because they want to keep their procedures identical to GUE I guess. Without an isolator valve you need to swap regulators. This means that the reg with the longhose is not always in your mouth... Either you use the same procedures as backmount divers - and use the isolator valve - or you don't.

I'm willing to bet that when the GUE procedures do come out, that they'll have absolutely nothing to do with the isolator manifold.
I do not know much about GUE but I even to me it's obvious that you cannot lose that bet :wink:
I would not be willing to bet anything against you.

I've been thinking about going to double long hose. Seems a simpler solution than the manifold nonsense.

Then you are back to donating whatever is in your mouth.

I'm not sure it's an issue. Inside a single-file restriction, the victim can't grab any of your regs, you would need to pass it, in which case you could easily pass the long hose.

Face-to-face, it doesn't matter, since they both work equally well and both tanks should have roughly the same amount of gas.

You could certainly have two long hoses, although I think it would be difficult to manage.

flots

Last edited:
It always fascinates me, how people come into these threads and criticize an organization with which they have no experience.

TEAM is the center of GUE. Standardization is a big part of making a really effective, elegantly functioning team. They will sacrifice SOME of that at the very highest levels, where the exigencies of the dive require it and the skills of the divers can make up for the loss. But again, 90% of the diving that is out there to do can be done in standard gear, and the payoff for doing so is huge.

It's all very simple. If you want to dive sidemount to dive sidemount, get your training somewhere else.

Or hook up with Bob Bailey, Bob dives sidemount. was taught by Rob Neto, so thats a pretty good pedigree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom