Guides not adhering to the rules of the dive sites in particular: Canyon, Dahab...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would have the guides name and more importantly his CDWS membership so at least its a start and they can contact him directly.
The relationship between CDWS and the guide is through the dive center. I believe what happens in this case is that CDWS contacts the dive center (not the guide directly. I've seen that more than once). The dive center can simply deny any activities in Dahab that day.

The direct way is to get the center's name from the permission.

Whenever i do Tiran,Ras Mo, Thistlegorm etc im always put on the sharm centres permission as opposed to our own for that reason.
Yeah I know. And that's why I believe it's not fair. Sharm centers can dive Dahab while Dahab centers can't dive Sharm, except upon using a permission from a Sharm center.

A checkpoint before the Canyon just like that of the southern oasis is what Dahab should be looking for, IMHO.

A checkpoint before the Canyon just like that of the southern oasis is what Dahab should be looking for

As long as they have 2 queues to get through, 1 for Dahab centres and 1 for all the 'Sharmers' INCLUDING the snorkel trippers!!!! This is unlikely to ever happen though, because isn't northern Dahab just protected area, where as South Oasis/Wadi Gnai is National Park??

This is unlikely to ever happen though, because isn't northern Dahab just protected area, where as South Oasis/Wadi Gnai is National Park??
Northern Dahab is not a protected area. The protected area starts somewhere at Ras Abu Galoum. The Canyon, Blue Hole, etc are not protected though.

The South Oasis/Wadi Gnai area is not a national park either :) The northern tip of Nabq protectorate starts just before Ras Umm Sid (Dahab not Sharm) and the Caves dive sites. The check point is way before that. So unlike the Nabq protectorate authority in Sharm, the guys in Dahab are not collecting money for Nabq. It's purely a coastal guard control point.

Last edited:
I have reported a Sharm Guide to the CDWS for recklessly diving through the fish bowl with 8 novice divers (by the looks of it). Took his photo and could identify the center. Of course, nothing came out of it...
I just wonder about the outcry if one day one of these bumbling beginners hits the coral with his tank just a tad too hard when diving through and the whole thing comes crashing down on them!

Regarding "entrance fees" for Sharm divers:
I would propose a 1 USD fee per person/day for anyone coming from Sharm - divers and snorklers alike! This money could be used to pay for some park rangers or such to "police" the reef tables and impose a 50 USD fine if someone walks on it. Don´t fine the tourist - take it from the guide. Next time he will make sure nobody steps on the reef! The money could also be used to clean up the garbage left by the day trippers from Sharm. Make them pay and have their permission stamped at the Dahab Check points, like we have them stamped at the coast guard office.
Of course, this is not going to happen...

Regarding "entrance fees" for Sharm divers:
I would propose a 1 USD fee per person/day for anyone coming from Sharm - divers and snorklers alike! This money could be used to pay for some park rangers or such to "police" the reef tables and impose a 50 USD fine if someone walks on it. Don´t fine the tourist - take it from the guide. Next time he will make sure nobody steps on the reef! The money could also be used to clean up the garbage left by the day trippers from Sharm. Make them pay and have their permission stamped at the Dahab Check points, like we have them stamped at the coast guard office.
Of course, this is not going to happen...
Glad that I've finally found someone agreeing with me. :D

I'd say 5 USD instead of 1 though.

Latest incident from yesterday is the liveaboard "Al Folk" based out of Taba (i have no issue naming it) mooring itself off by tying directly to the reef at Gabr El Bint (there are moorings) which resulted in a large section of reef being ripped free and left hanging by the rope underneath the boat.

Wonder what if anything CDWS will do about this one. (why do i suspect nothing).

Some photos (not by me)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099516555_525261555_5461515_4070524_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099081555_525261555_5461473_8197408_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099591555_525261555_5461516_5188736_n.jpg

""I am Captain, I know what I'm doing"" was the response when questioned by other boats all using the permanent lines!

Latest incident from yesterday is the liveaboard "Al Folk" based out of Taba (i have no issue naming it) mooring itself off by tying directly to the reef at Gabr El Bint (there are moorings) which resulted in a large section of reef being ripped free and left hanging by the rope underneath the boat.

Wonder what if anything CDWS will do about this one. (why do i suspect nothing).

Some photos (not by me)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099516555_525261555_5461515_4070524_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099081555_525261555_5461473_8197408_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._435099591555_525261555_5461516_5188736_n.jpg

""I am Captain, I know what I'm doing"" was the response when questioned by other boats all using the permanent lines!
Did you report them to CDWS?

As far as im aware they have been (and to marine police). Although marine police will probably settle for a few free pens, t-shirts and small amount of money each to forget about it.

Amusing (in a way) story to add i forgot earlier. At a recent IDC there were 10 instructor candidates. Various nationalities all working in different parts of Egypt for different dive centres. Most didn't know each other before so a broad range of experience, locations and conditions.

On the part of the IDC where they have to do a business SWOT analysis which involves amongst other things identifying strengths and threats to the business in your area every single student on their own accord and without talking to anyone else in the room listed "CDWS" as the biggest threat to their industry and business.

Nice to see the body is making such a good impression with people who actually work in the industry!

Incidentally they're now randomly adding individuals names to the blacklist. Some gems are on there such as an advanced open water diver whos only connection with a blacklisted centre is that person wrote their website 3 years ago and was listed as a webmaster contact!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom