Guides not adhering to the rules of the dive sites in particular: Canyon, Dahab...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the dahab tax and rangers, we need it... for those of you that remember the canyon corals just 2 years ago....

About the fishwowl, this is nothing i saw solo divers with single tank doing the full canyon and the blue hole arch.... so often under the arch you find single tank diver.

Ad about the things happened in Gabr el bint, I'm not surprised, sometimes the boats are drived by chef and not by captain...well this is Dahab....

I have reported a Sharm Guide to the CDWS for recklessly diving through the fish bowl with 8 novice divers (by the looks of it). Took his photo and could identify the center. Of course, nothing came out of it...
I just wonder about the outcry if one day one of these bumbling beginners hits the coral with his tank just a tad too hard when diving through and the whole thing comes crashing down on them!

Regarding "entrance fees" for Sharm divers:
I would propose a 1 USD fee per person/day for anyone coming from Sharm - divers and snorklers alike! This money could be used to pay for some park rangers or such to "police" the reef tables and impose a 50 USD fine if someone walks on it. Don´t fine the tourist - take it from the guide. Next time he will make sure nobody steps on the reef! The money could also be used to clean up the garbage left by the day trippers from Sharm. Make them pay and have their permission stamped at the Dahab Check points, like we have them stamped at the coast guard office.
Of course, this is not going to happen...

I always cringe when I hear about policing. Our over-reliance on law enforcement always leads to abuse and loss of rights and freedoms. CDWS is a perfect example of corruption and abuse.

Has anyone organized the guides and instructors on voluntary basis to set up an association of some sort to inform, monitor and report on dive sites, divers and dive centers? If something like this is in place or has been attempted, did it work?

Has anyone organized the guides and instructors on voluntary basis to set up an association of some sort to inform, monitor and report on dive sites, divers and dive centers? If something like this is in place or has been attempted, did it work?
It is being attempted right now. Today I've received confirmed information that the Egyptian dive professionals in Dahab have submitted the required legal documents to form "Dahab Assembly for Diving and Water Sports".

Back
Top Bottom