Halcyon Infinity good choice BP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are diving in PB Gardens, you way well be faced with 40 degree air temperatures in the winter and water temps in the low 60's when the thermoclines are in (summer usually).. so don't assume that you will never be wearing a decent amount of wetsuit.

I would not use less than 30 lbs of lift, if you are wearing a full 5 mm suit with a hood.

As for spending $900 for a BC... I would have to have A LOT of other toys in my garage before I considered spending that much on something that can be had for 35 to 50% of that cost...

I don't plan on diving year round like I used to. I used to live for diving. Now, we have a 30' camper we travel with, a 25' boat with A/C we spend the weekends on, to be honest, I really miss diving, but in can only see myself going once a month , and maybe a weekend diving down in the Keys in the summer

So let's stay with a 3mm wetsuit, steel HP100, I'll probably go with an Alum BP since I dive with steel tanks, then 30lb wing good?

yes most definitely that will be sufficient.

I thought they were made in the same factory, I knew where the DriS ones were coming from I didn't know Halcyon was making in house. Either way, DSS is made in US, all of the DiveRite wings are made in US, few other mfg's use the same factory as DiveRite. Either way, I haven't been impressed with the Halcyon wings overall, seen a lot of them degrade much faster than the DriS wings and the HOG wings under the same conditions.

So $390 for the Halcyon wing, $300 for the DSS, the Halcyon just isn't worth $100 more, it's not going to last 30% longer, and the DSS wings do actually have superior build quality.

Even the DiveRite one for $525, doesn't justify the price increase over the HOG or DRiS one when you factor in the warranties that everyone offers.

So $390 for the Halcyon wing, $300 for the DSS, the Halcyon just isn't worth $100 more, it's not going to last 30% longer, and the DSS wings do actually have superior build quality.

Having owned several wings from each of DSS, Halcyon, and Oxycheq, my experience has been that the bolded statement is not at all correct.

Of the three, the DSS wings I've owned have been the least well-built. DSS does seem to have, however, the best support even though I find the Halcyon no-nonsense all seams lifetime warranty better than dealing with Tobin. Oxycheq's only real flaw is that you have to deal with Oxycheq/Patrick. The Oxycheq wings, IMO, are slightly better built than the DSS ones and use more rugged construction/materials than either DSS or Halcyon...but the attention to detail on both DSS and Oxycheq fall short of that found on Halcyon wings.

At the end of the day, any DSS, Halcyon, or Oxycheq wing will be a very good wing if it works as it should. If it doesn't work as it should, you're better off having to deal with Halcyon (if you're the original owner) or Tobin (depending on what he had for breakfast, the phase of the moon, or whatever it is that affects how Tobin works) than Oxycheq. Whether any performance/quality increase is worth an incremental price difference is up to the diver and their budget.

DSS = Deep Sea Supply, of which, Tobin is the owner.https://www.deepseasupply.com/

It should also be noted that Tobin, while a stubborn, opinionated gentleman with whom I often disagree, is an unparalleled resource to anyone considering a BP&W rig. Tell him about yourself and your diving, and he will give you very specific, very knowledgable advice about what rig he thinks would work best for you and why.

Back
Top Bottom