Halcyon Infinity good choice BP ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I'm down to two choices

first one is $525 from Dive Rite which is their transplate , it says $100 extra for Armor wing?
also their wing size is a travel 25lb lift or Voyager which is 35lb lift

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

next one is $800 is the Halcyon Eclipse from the link above

Not apple to apple comparison. Halcyon Eclipse is $800. For DR to be equivalent, it will be:
DR tranplate package: $525
Standard plate: $25
XT wing: $100
Backpad: $10

Total $660. If yo consider STA, then it becomes $690. Still cheaper than Halcyon, but much smaller differences. Some may said you dont need STA, some prefer it. You choice.

Persoanlly, I won't go with Transplate at all since you are considering Eclipse which doesn't have the quick adjustment anyway. It cost is issue, I would go with basic DR plate, XT wing, but get your own harness from DGX, webbing and hardware instead. The DR basic harness which I have used totally use the wrong webbing for the job: way too soft/sloppy for shoulder harness and way way to stiff for crotch strap.

There's a beautiful Halcyon SS plate, harness, STA, and cambands on eBay right now (not mine or a buddy's) for peanuts: Halcyon Dive System Scuba Stainless Steel Backplate and Harness | eBay. That's not an uncommon occurance. I'd nail that or something like it for anything less than $225 including shipping, buy myself a new wing of whatever make I liked best, and go diving...all for less than even your cheaper approach.

That said, if you're dead-set on one of the two, I'd get the Halcyon Eclipse. I detest the DR harness with all the crap and QRs on it, and the plate is perfectly functional but nowhere near as nicely designed or finished.

The Halcyon inflator problem is not limited to the stainless steel version. I lost track of how many times I've had to get one of their inflators serviced or replaced. And, I'm talking about the non-SS ones. In fact, I just purchased two more last week to replace two that I had that were bubbling! Maybe this problem has finally been fixed in current production, but it definitely goes beyond just the SS version.

I had one of the early SS ones and thought is was cool until I got whacked in the temple by it one day. I threw the tank and rig over my shoulder to carry it off the boat and bam. I immediately got rid of it after that. Everybody wanted them when they first came out so it was easy to trade away for a plastic one. But, I've never owned a single one that didn't have to be serviced.

I still love their wings, but it's just something that comes along with them.

Strange--I've never had any type of problem with mine, and I've never done anything to them.

The Halcyon inflator problem is not limited to the stainless steel version. I lost track of how many times I've had to get one of their inflators serviced or replaced. And, I'm talking about the non-SS ones. In fact, I just purchased two more last week to replace two that I had that were bubbling! Maybe this problem has finally been fixed in current production, but it definitely goes beyond just the SS version.

I had one of the early SS ones and thought is was cool until I got whacked in the temple by it one day. I threw the tank and rig over my shoulder to carry it off the boat and bam. I immediately got rid of it after that. Everybody wanted them when they first came out so it was easy to trade away for a plastic one. But, I've never owned a single one that didn't have to be serviced.

H doesn't make the current plastic inflators. They're generic ones that you can buy separately at almost any dive shop. They don't last forever.

If that was seriously what you considered to be the major problem, I think you should have considered getting rid of the whole BP&W. And the rest of your dive gear. :shakehead:

Thank you all for your help

some good points from some very experienced people,!

Here's the only thing holding me back from spending $900 or $800 on a Halcyon set up

We have a 30' camper, and a 23' boat. So it's been 2 years since I did a few dives and 2 years before that

before I spend $900 on a BP, $800 on a reg, $1k on a computer, fins, mask another $400 wetsuit, I'm looking at $3,500.00 and I may dive once or twice now that it's all most Sept, and may only dove once a month next year in the summer, due to how busy we are

Im 47 years old now, and closest diving is 2-1/2 hours away which is in West Palm Beach FL

i don't want to have to buy gear twice, but I also don't want to buy a jacket style bc, I been diving a BP for 10 years before slowing down with the hobby

Thank you all for your help

some good points from some very experienced people,!

Here's the only thing holding me back from spending $900 or $800 on a Halcyon set up

We have a 30' camper, and a 23' boat. So it's been 2 years since I did a few dives and 2 years before that

before I spend $900 on a BP, $800 on a reg, $1k on a computer, fins, mask another $400 wetsuit, I'm looking at $3,500.00 and I may dive once or twice now that it's all most Sept, and may only dove once a month next year in the summer, due to how busy we are

Im 47 years old now, and closest diving is 2-1/2 hours away which is in West Palm Beach FL

i don't want to have to buy gear twice, but I also don't want to buy a jacket style bc, I been diving a BP for 10 years before slowing down with the hobby

I think it's been made abundantly clear to you that spending more than $300-$500 for a nice Halcyon BP&W that fits your requirements is a matter of personal choice, not of requirement. Do whatever works for you.

Ok I'm down to two choices

first one is $525 from Dive Rite which is their transplate , it says $100 extra for Armor wing?
also their wing size is a travel 25lb lift or Voyager which is 35lb lift

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

next one is $800 is the Halcyon Eclipse from the link above
DGX has a complete DR single set up for US$299.00.
DIY the harness and crotch strap if you don't like the material and they cost peanut.
I never consider the "H".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom