• Don't Care

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Its a Little Much

Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Hell No!

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be willing to bet the reason you like it is because you have a vested interest in it somehow. I have to agree the "rag" is not worth it even with the scantily clad chicks.
DSAO

I am curious how many people actually read the magazines beyond beginner divers. I can't say that I have been compelled to buy one based on content in a long time.

cadet diver once bubbled...
I am curious how many people actually read the magazines beyond beginner divers. I can't say that I have been compelled to buy one based on content in a long time.

Thats probably why people are so suspicious of scuba magazines... because most people don't feel very compelled to buy them because most of them are useless rags filled with tons of "gear reviews" and other types of advertising that none of us want to read.

If anyone has any backissues of scuba mags from the eighties, you'll probably find that there were a lot of pictures of topless women. Usually in gear ads....

One thing I don't appreciate about this organization is how we seem to get bombarded with tons of their unsolicited spam email. Which, IMHO, ULTIMATE sin of the Internet. (Can you tell I hate spammers?!?!?)

I started getting unsolicited emails from Divers Magazine prior to the publication of their first issue and continue to receive unsolicited email from them on a regular basis.

Anyone who doesn't think they do such a thing, I will be happy to do for you what I have done for others in the past, which is to forward you a copy of every email they send. Let me also remind you that at Scuba Hosting we have more than 250,000 registered email users and when they have their spam filters turned on or the spammer gets the email address wrong, the email goes into the default account. Needless to say, we get hundreds of copies of their UCE, which could be considered mail bombing at that volume.

Rec2Tek once bubbled...
I'd be willing to bet the reason you like it is because you have a vested interest in it somehow. I have to agree the "rag" is not worth it even with the scantily clad chicks.
DSAO
Three postings (as of my typing this) all in this thread, so the first one must have been the thread starter. Just signed onto the board the day the thread started. Lists location as Phoenix, magazine in question seems to be based in Tempe, AZ - a suburb of Phoenix.

I do believe you're right, Rec2Tek.

Can't say I like it much, if true. Other opinions will likely vary but *I* would have preferred if you'd been up front with us about any association with the magazine when you set up your poll. If I'm wronging you and you have nothing to do with the magazine or it's owners, then please accept my apologies, but you've got to admit the circumstantial evidence here is... compelling.

Oh well - LD stepped in while I was typing this.. guess that nails it.

I agree with Cat and Rec2Tec in that it's likely you're connected with the magazine in some way....but please, even if you are...are you saying that you've managed to become a technical diver...but that "turning to page 80" is to much to grasp?

If you are from the magazine, give your readers some credit. Credit that they can figure out where the rest of the article is (so it doesn't turn into a 'choose your own adventure').

The key to any good product is meeting a need no one else is meeting. So, if you really want to create a good dive magazine, make it about the diving. Intelligent articles, minus the girlie shots (shouldn't your magazine be about diving instead of the controversy of having pictures of girls in swimsuits?..I mean I know you stated that you like the controversy...but is that a wise business reason?)....cause there are already plenty of mags out there that folks feel don't have intelligent articles, and there are plenty of mags out there with pictures of scantily clad women. So, how is your mag any different? Do you think it's different because you've put these two parts together? It's kind of like those three-in-one printers (you know the ones they fax, scan and print?) Sure they technically do three things...but they don't do any of them well. Figure out what kind of magazine you want to be, then do it well.

My .02

Peace,
Cathie

zmcdowe once bubbled...

snip
I'm just fed up with magazines (in general, but especially scuba ones) that I can't find the next section of the article I was reading because it seems like a choose your own adventure from the days of yesteryear due to the "please turn to page.... ect" three or four times in an article due to "advertising constraints"
I opened up a copy of "immersed" this month and almost threw up - only 80 pages of magazine and almost EVERY ONE had an advertisement on it... and I PAY for this?
snip

I agree about Immersed - while it has great photo's, many times there were articles about trips to who-knows- where and never clarified for us newbies - like Truk Lagoon - where's THAT anyways?

Immersed was loaded with ads, ads and more ads. In fact, most of the ads overpowered the articles!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom