Has anybody heard what happened to the inspiration diver.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just goes to show how stories get changed.. At least the agressor was correct.. Kona has lots of sharks also so its still a viable reason...

APD tries to keep track of users, they wont service a unit for an uncertified diver.. The units are not supposed to be sold to uncertified divers.. Anyone who sells it is risking getting sued since its a manufacturers requirements and the units are sold to the user with that stated as a policy.

OC experience means nothing... 40 hours on the unit is a beginner and that person has no business diving solo (if he was as I was told)

Every rebreather is different and has different failure modes.. Unless the diver has lots of experience with different CCRS its not a painless switch.

I stopped tracking my time on unit last year when I was over 400 hours.. I'm still learning tricks and I don't think that will end...

How deep is this divesite?? If the person had only 40 hours he wouldn't been even eligble for deep training.

I take it back Maverick, there does seem to have been #17. Its taken me 4 days of searching and asking but the details now seem to be hitting the Inspiration Owners lists

Seems that the dive was deep, solo, by an untrained and inexperianced Insp user in an area known for shark trouble with RB divers. Body has not been found despite several searches so I expect we will never know

... that you have to update that part on your site again, Madmole.
That's sad no matter who or what was at fault. Condolences to the family.

Now I'm really confused

A search of the net archives of the Honolulu Advertiser, the Honolulu Star Bulletin and West Hawaii Today reveals no report of any Inspiration diver fatalities on February 6th. Indeed there is no report of ANY DIVER MISSING off the islands of Hawaii at ANY TIME during the last two months at all ...

Also a negative on a search of the US Coastguard reports for this period, The Kona Aggresor would by law have to report the incident.

No one on the Inspiration forums can find anything either. In fact the ONLY source for this seems to be the posting that stated this thread. The ones on the Inspiration thread appear to be a rehash of this thread

So once again its looking like it didn't happen

I found this regarding this accident...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 8:51 PM
To: West Coast Tech Divers
Subject: Re: california rebreather diver missing

Tomas Rosenfeld was lost on Thursday Feb 6th, 2003 while diving his Inspration in Kona. He was on the Kona Aggressor and was the only RB diver on the boat. He dived most of the trip by himself and without a buddy. He was without a buddy the day he was lost. He did not return at the designated time that was agreed upon. He did not return to the Aggressor after the crew waited for several hours. For several days of searching, neither his body nor the RB equipment were recovered.

I personally met Thomas from my involvement in the WLA dive club for which he was a current member. I am currently the Dive Coordinator for the club. I do know he received his OW training from Sport Chalet in Marina Del Rey. I do not know who he got his RB training nor cave diving training from.

This past week I had the opportunity to meet his mother and extend condolences from myself and the WLA dive club. During that visit, Ilmar, the step-brother, and his mother were able to tell me about Tomas and his diving experience and ambitions. Tomas's mother really wants to find his equipment in Kona so that some of the mystery can be exposed and put her mind to rest. I was told that Tomas was cave certified as well as RB trained.

From what specific information I was given from Ilmar and Thomas's mother, I can only speculate about what might have happened. As you know without the recovery of the RB or a dive buddies account, we will never know for sure. Ilmar and I have had many conversations about what might have happened on
that dive site and where Tomas might have was headed to on that last dive. I spent some time only yesterday reviewing the Kona island, the currents, the specific dive site and other interesting surrounding dive sites. I did present to Ilmar speculative 'possible' situations Tomas might have faced
given the Kona site. I also received information from an Kona dive
operation that provided some general island information for my reference in the meantime. I can 'only speculate' but this does not answer the question of what exactly happened to him.

During my discussions with Ilmar on several occasions, I somehow inherited Tomas's Inspiration cover. Tomas obvously did not dive with the cover and did not take it with him on his Kona trip. Ilmar asked me several times to help identify a small collection of dive articles for which I did.

I again extend my condolences to the family.

> > Anybody know who the missing diver?
> >
> > Looks like it is an Inspiration. A person involved has the
> > Cover from the back of the unit in his possession (why wasn't > > he diving with it??). I've known about this for a week or two > > and have been trying to get more details
> >
> > The supposed deceased is Tomas Rosenfeldt
> > Thomas Rosenvault on an Inspiration. Kona area.

FLL Diver once bubbled...

He was without a buddy the day he was lost. He did not return at the designated time that was agreed upon.

I spent a week on the Kona Agressor in January. At no time was there an "agreed upon" time for returning to the boat. The staff just said, "We're here for 2 dives this morning. The pool is open." We were totally in control of our own profiles.

Based on this discrepancy and the others reported eariler in the thread, this story just doesn't sound convincing to me.

Also nobody dives an Inspiration without its cover, the drag is terrible and why is his VR3 with Inspiration adpater in the list of diving bits and bobs. Again why would he dive without it

Lots dont add up here. Tomas is definatly dead, which is bad enough, I have seen lots of stuff from his work colleages (see link below), but nothing to confirm it was a diving incident let alone a RB.

All I see are about 2 original posts being copied around and around becomming another urban legend. Does anyone have any facts

http://thescratchpost.com/features/march03/features1.shtml

I am trained and dive one. Take it from me you dont want to dive it minus the cover. The scrubber, and plumbing are not rounded and curved like twins, the drag is very noticable and the risk of snagging the loop or the scrubber/tank velcros' too high. Its there for a reason, not just fashion

Pre dive checks do not involve removing the cover.

The only time you would consider not having the cover on would be a pop in the pool of you had a loop leak and wanted a buddy to have a quick peep

I see evidence that Tomas is dead (real shame), but only unsubstanciated posts about how.

Does anyone have any real evidence?

Back
Top Bottom