Has anyone bought Suunto Vytec from Leisurepro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try www.divetank.net. Good prices, good service. And . . . they are an authorized Suunto retailer, even though they are in Canada, where Suunto's distribution rules are different than the US. My computer was a gift to me from someone else (lucky me!), and I got a warranty card and everything. If I have a problem, sure I will need to send it back to Canada (not very expensive). But at least I have that option, unlike LP, where you will have to deal with them instead of the manufacturer. And DiveTank threw in a free Otter box with it. Search the forums to see what others here think about divetank.net.

Mike

subzero:
I wanna know if you've experience problems with your dive computer or your experience in dealing with Leisurepro in general. I'm thinking of buying a Vytec from them to save some $$$...

Thanks
Becareful Sub. I don't knock buying gear from leasuirepro, in fact I do it myself and probably will continue to, however, ther is no way that I am going to buy somthing vital like a dive computer like a Vytec. It is'nt about supporting your local dive shop, it is just that when it comes to warranty , there is none. You WILL NOT get a card from leasuirepro. And if the computer goes down unless you are family with a dive shop owner, hang-up getting it taken care of. Sure you may pay a little extra, but I feel it is worth it for the coverage. Besides the savings isnt that much. On top of that the odds on you getting somthing that somebody bought, tried, and didn't like it are higher.
I'm just saying becareful from a instructor's point of view. Talk to your dive shop, maybe they can work somthen out for you. I hope it works out.

I bought a computer console from leisurepro on which the hp hose and guage failed first dive. As I am working in Utila I couldn't replace the guage or hp hose (Mares non standard stuff - a mistake on my part buying it) I sent it back to Leisurepro asking for a refund. Instead they gave me succesively different reasons why I couldn't get one, starting with the fact that it was used (first dive!), that I'd bought it on a credit card, then that the time from purchase to return was too long (which was more reasonable, it took a couple of months from leaving leisurepro to them getting it back) Instead they gave me a store credit for most of the cost.

Under the circumstances, I needed a refund because I had to buy something else to use down here in the meantime. Instead, I have been forced to buy a second computer which I'll proabably have to sell for a loss.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT... apart for that major pain in the bum, leisurepro have been as helpful as they could be, given that they don't ship to honduras. Getting stuff out the door to people coming down here at short notice, and have consistently answered questions promptly. If I lived in the States, none of this would have been such a big issue.

PS> By the way, there *WAS* a Mares guarentee card with this one.

kevink:
We had a customer at the shop flood his. Was not bought through us but I suspect it was from LeisurePro. He can't produce the receipts or warranty card, or remember where he bought it from. Find out what their flood policy is, and how you can batteries changed, and how that effects your warranty.

Had the computer been purchased through us, and serviced by us, it would have been warranted. The way it stands now, there is nothing we can do for him.

Before someone flames me. I am not flaming them, I am just stating a case and how it would have been handled by the LDS. I am interested to see how this same situation would have been handled or has been handled by LeisurePro.

Kevin:

You talked about the service your shop provides and the value of a warranty, but you left out the price you charge and the name of your shop.

Just as a curiosity, what is the the name of your shop and what are you charging these days for a Vytec and transmitter?

kevink:
I don't own the shop, just work there. I also own two Vypers so this thread was near and dear to my heart. I also was at Beneath the Sea over the weekend and spoke with the Suunto/Aqualung rep.

It came down to - - bought from an authorized dealer & serviced by an authorized dealer = Factory Warranty. Anything else = Skydiving without a parachute. This isn't the LDS's discretion, this is the MFG.

In your case your LDS should have covered a Fin Stap out of their own pocket, whether or not SP wanted to warrant it, that is good customer service, eating a $700 computer is quite another story.

I'm a tried and true consumer, as most of us are...

So ask yourself, how often have you EVER USED a Warranty?

From my experience, I worry more about the return policy. Generally the product is either defective, and can be returned, or it will not break until out of warranty.

I realize that *some* merchandise in scuba maybe the exception to the rule. Dive computers where the user MUST have factor service to replace the battery is one exception I can think of.

In generaly however IMO warranty's are not worth the paper they are printed on. There are usually so many exclusions, or when one actually attempts to act on them, they blame the consumer, and claim things are not covered.

subzero:
I wanna know if you've experience problems with your dive computer or your experience in dealing with Leisurepro in general. I'm thinking of buying a Vytec from them to save some $$$...

Thanks

If you want a Vytec try divetank.net.

Last November I bought a Vytec & transmitter from Divetank.net. They are out of Washington State and Canada. I paid $825. I got a warranty card. They also included two spare 0 rings, a replacement battery and a nice size water proof Otter box. Shipping was free. So if you net out the cost of all the extra stuff and the free shipping, I paid less than $800 for the vytec and transmitter. LeisurePro is about $875 plus shipping and no extra stuff.

Divetank has a 30 day return policy. So if you buy a Vytec from them email the serial numbers of the computer and transmitter to Suunto to see if they sold you a recently manufactured computer and the most current transmitter.

Good luck

So let me get this straight...the reason Leisure Pro's prices on comps in general are so low is that they are selling "gray market" items? That is, gear with international warranties not necessarily honored by regional offices. Kinda like buying cameras from shops in NYC...

Does this apply to other gear as well, like regulators?? I was going to purchase a Mares MR12 Rebel and octo from them.

This probably wouldnt be a problem for me if LP honored the warranties with replacement (as the camera dealers I purchased from would do, though I never needed to do so). But I will reconsider my purchasing critical equipment from them. Thanks for the heads up!!

My mosquito is from LP. No problems, but the manual came in a language not familiar to me. The manuals are online however so this posed no problem.

subzero:

Thanks

Having the advantage of living in NYC and working two blocks from LP, I've often gone to the store for purchases. I've bought regs there but some items are better on the internet from LDS at ... yes ... cheaper prices than LP.

I have not had any negative experience with LP unlike some on this discussion board. Maybe it's because I show up in person. However, I've had "LDS Service" experiences with LP. I lost my manual for my Dacor Darwin and went to two LDS' in the area to see if I could borrow one and photo copy the English Section (the manual has one billion languages). None of the LDS' were willing to loan me their manual EXCEPT for LP. I returned it the next day. I didn't have to buy anything or do anything special.

There are many arguments about buying from LP versus LDS (pro and con). It comes down to whom you want to support more than service. A close analogy would be that of a local golf club pro. He sell clubs, balls, gloves at prices higher than the internet but I still buy these from him ... it's he's living. If you have a LDS that you: get air, lessons, advice or simply BS with (i.e., developed a relationship with), then it makes sense to support them.

My last comment, LP is not a gray market. They buy scuba products in bulk ... probably from defunct LDS' as well as directly from the manufacturers (think of them as the Walmart of diving). LP is also not just an internet dive shop. They're part of Adorama, a full fledged photography retail/wholesale shop on 18th street. BTW, if you've ever gone into LP, you'll be amazed that anyone of their staff knows about diving but somehow they do ... (that's all I'm going to say about this ... too politically incorrect if I go further).

So buy from LP but make sure you speak to them first about the warranties, return policy, etc.

That's one of the shops I used when purchasing 35mm equipment in the 80s. Back then, they would indicate in their ads if the item had an "international" warranty as opposed to a US warranty. But if you're telling me that their scuba gear is all US warrantied, then it gives we a warmer feeling...I will ask them when I order over the phone. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom