Has anyone bought Suunto Vytec from Leisurepro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texas Diver:
Kevin:

You talked about the service your shop provides and the value of a warranty, but you left out the price you charge and the name of your shop.

Just as a curiosity, what is the the name of your shop and what are you charging these days for a Vytec and transmitter?

If it only comes down to list price your LDS will never be able to touch LeisurePro so send your business there. The margins just make no sense. Your LDS would need a 5 - 10% markup on cost, which barely pays to bring it in the door, let along turning on the lights or paying people.

If you start looking at total cost of ownership you will need to make your own decision. How willing are you to let a $1000+ piece of dive gear turn into a paperweight that not even the manufacturer will stand by? If you have never had a problem with any piece of gear you may be willing to take that risk. If you have ever wanted to try something on, return it, or get service after the sale you may start to think diferently.

Would you ever buy a new car without a warranty? How much off would you take on a new car without a warranty?

LeisurePro is definately GRAY MARKET. Most of these were goods never intended for the US Market, or they were surplus inventory bought from now defunct LDS's. Why won't manufacturers stand behind LP sales ..... because there is no traceable history of where these good have came from, who had them first, or even if they are new. Why do you find so many cases of people getting instruction manuals in a foreign language, or a photocopy of the real manual?

If you have a good relationship with your LDS, try to send your business there. Talk to them, work with them, look at what you are getting by spending a little more. If you hate your LDS, or just want them to go under, continue to send business to LP.

I am not sure how far you used to travel with your scuba gears that have an international warranty. In reality, it used to be a gimmick because there is no way to check your registration status in the foreign countries. So, it is your PITA to get the warranty service at the site. It is much easier to bring your gear back to your dealer shop later. Sometimes, there is no guarantee that you can get the warranty service at other dealer shops in other states on time, even in U.S. Actually, the warranty issue is so mcuh controversal only in U.S. due to "Free Part Replacement Program." Sure, the major scuba companies know how to run the business very well.

orangelion03:
So let me get this straight...the reason Leisure Pro's prices on comps in general are so low is that they are selling "gray market" items? That is, gear with international warranties not necessarily honored by regional offices. Kinda like buying cameras from shops in NYC...

Does this apply to other gear as well, like regulators?? I was going to purchase a Mares MR12 Rebel and octo from them.

This probably wouldnt be a problem for me if LP honored the warranties with replacement (as the camera dealers I purchased from would do, though I never needed to do so). But I will reconsider my purchasing critical equipment from them. Thanks for the heads up!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom