have a problem hovering while doing deco stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geezer:
Dare I suggest that another alternative might be to dive a steel tank without a BP (using a BC instead)???

Works for me :)

Spoon:
i used to use 8lbs then dropped to 6 then to 4 on top of the ss backplate on my halcyon rig. noticed my air consumption was awful due to the repeated inflation of my bc. i know only use my backplate as weight and have noticed a tremendous increase in air economy which led to more realized dive times. i also felt so free without them cumbersome weights.

dropping 2# from 6 to 4 did not produce the tremendous increase in air economy. congrats, you're learning better breath control and you're lowing your SAC rate as you get more experience.

but you need to add those 2# back.

Geezer:
Dare I suggest that another alternative might be to dive a steel tank without a BP (using a BC instead)???
Horrible, horrible idea! 6 pounds negative buoyancy from a steel tank is a killer. 6 pounds negative buoyancy (or 10 if you bolt on extra non-ditchable weights as did the original poster) of a steel backplate is wonderful.

If you don't understand the difference, you need to go take a class.

Charlie

The above is posted in jest, of course. Non-ditchable negative buoyancy is non-ditchable negative buoyancy.

Charlie99:
Horrible, horrible idea! 6 pounds negative buoyancy from a steel tank is a killer. 6 pounds negative buoyancy (or 10 if you bolt on extra non-ditchable weights as did the original poster) of a steel backplate is wonderful.

If you don't understand the difference, you need to go take a class.

Charlie

The above is posted in jest, of course. Non-ditchable negative buoyancy is non-ditchable negative buoyancy.

The problem with large capcity steel tanks is how overly negatively bouyant you are at the start of a dive, not the ending weight. Apples to Apples a hypothetical steel 80 with an AL plate in lieu of a steel plate is not a big deal. Double steel 120's with an AL plate in a wetsuit is a huge balanced rig problem.

A 15l steel tank will be roughly 4kg (9lb) negative at the start of a dive. Empty its 0.1kg (not even 1/2 a pound).

ClevelandDiver:
As H2Andy mentioned, trapped air in the wing could be the culprit. As a recent convert to a BP/wing set up, I was having the exact same problem. I knew that the weight couldn't be the problem, because I was diving the exact same weight as I had been with my jacket style BCD. I found that I had to get completely vertical and hold the inflator hose up high (to the point where it was straight up with no bends) to empty the wing completely. Using the back and shoulder pull dumps just wasn't getting all the air out. If anyone has any other tricks for making sure the wing is fully deflated, I'd love to hear them.
I have a backinflate bc with a horseshoe shape.

I recommend a knife. :D
Actually, I just roll around a lot when I need every microbubble out.

pennypue:
Actually, I just roll around a lot when I need every microbubble out.

have you tried (no JOKES now) putting your hiney up?

usually that's all it takes for me, using a dump valve (oh this is getting worse
and worse... and worse...)

H2Andy:
have you tried (no JOKES now) putting your hiney up?

usually that's all it takes for me, using a dump valve (oh this is getting worse
and worse... and worse...)
NOPE.
I'd NEVER get my dive buddy along side me then. :D

And being horseshoe, I'd have to do even MORE rolling around with my heiny up in the air.....or is that your objective????? <snicker>

pennypue:
.....or is that your objective????? <snicker>

:33:

counsel: Deny that!!!

H2Andy: I deny that!

------------------------------------

actually, mine is horsehoe shaped too, and it works well by dipping my head
and purging... not wiggling around needed :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom