have a problem hovering while doing deco stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The inflate/deflate the BC is such a small % of the air in your tank it wont make any noticable difference to the SAC.

The only way weight affects SAC is from the extra physical effort required to lug it around. Again though, other factors such as current and cold can mask any change this makes unless significantly overweighted.

There could be a placebo affect here with prople claiming massively reduced SAC from dropping slight bits of weight - they think it helps so are more relaxed so use less gas

As H2Andy mentioned, trapped air in the wing could be the culprit. As a recent convert to a BP/wing set up, I was having the exact same problem. I knew that the weight couldn't be the problem, because I was diving the exact same weight as I had been with my jacket style BCD. I found that I had to get completely vertical and hold the inflator hose up high (to the point where it was straight up with no bends) to empty the wing completely. Using the back and shoulder pull dumps just wasn't getting all the air out. If anyone has any other tricks for making sure the wing is fully deflated, I'd love to hear them.

Vie:
Using a steel tank for single tank diving is not a good idea, IMHO.

Sorry—I was a little vague in my statement. The original steel tank suggestion was aimed at Spoon. I was/am assuming that Spoon (who started this thread) is a single tank/wetsuit open water diver. IMHO (emphasis!), using a ss bp AND a steel tank could make a diver without redundant buoyancy (i.e. a drysuit) too overweight and unable to ascend with his rig in case of a wing failure, for instance. I certainly did not mean to offend any steel tank divers on SB! I am sure most people CAN swim up from depth with an ss bp AND steel single without the aid of their BC—I just feel that using an AL tank is just one less thing to worry about (again, just my opinion).

Having no ditchable weight(s) at the surface is a concern, but not the main reason behind my opinion.

DA Aquamaster:
I also really want to hear the rationale for the blanket statement of why diving with a single steel tank is considered unsafe.

It does not matter what you dive for tanks as long as you can achieve neutral bouyancy at the end of the dive and can swim them up to the surface on your own in the event of a BC/wing failure and/or have a source for redundant bouyancy. The only situation where I can forsee a potential problem with a single steel tank is with a tropical diver in a very thin or no exposure suit diving a very negative steel tank. That does not warrant a blanket statement that steel tanks are unsafe for single tank dives.

DA Aquamaster—let me just say how useful I have found many of your posts regarding Scbapro regulators.

Anyway, AT NO TIME did I issue a “blanket statement that steel tanks are UNSAFE for single tank dives” (my emphasis)—I actually stated that I did not think it was a good idea.

A totally empty steel tank is only about 1-2kg negative, an empty aluminium is about 1kg positive. Most people can easily fin up 1-2kg without effort.

I personally refuse to dive aluminium tanks over here - its extra weight that has to go somewhere to cope with the damn thing being positive.

Vie... you certainly don't need to apologize. When I read your post I realized that you were speaking to the venue... as a warm water diver with minimal reserve buoyancy.

What works in one neighborhood doesn't in another. FWIW I agree with you that switching to a steel tank isn't the best answer given Spoon's location.

As they say folks, "Location Location Location".

DA Aquamaster:
Let's not let this turn into some sort of weird, masochistic
and unsafe cult dedicated to the reduction of weight over all other factors.

dang it... i already had ordered my Chief of the Weigthless Cult thong
(made out of hollowed-out titanium)

Vie:
... IMHO (emphasis!), using a ss bp AND a steel tank could make a diver without redundant buoyancy (i.e. a drysuit) too overweight and unable to ascend with his rig in case of a wing failure, for instance...
Another option is to switch to an aluminum B/P when diving warm water with less exposure protection. That is what I do and, at least for me, it is the perfect amount of weight reduction that I need to go from either my drysuit or my 7/5 mil wetsuit to my 3 mil shorty.

Dare I suggest that another alternative might be to dive a steel tank without a BP (using a BC instead)???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom