Have you ever fallen asleep underwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was doing some blackout mask training in the pool one day...very relaxing...and had to constantly remind myself that I could not just go to sleep if I wanted.

We were in the Bahamas in about 45' of beautiful, warm, clear water and I was hovering above my friends who were chasing bugs. It was the end of a long weekend of diving and we had been diving hard and playing hard. Just kind of nodded off...

Woke up in a bit and decided it was a good time to call the dive.

:nighty:

"Woke up in a bit and decided it was a good time to call the dive."

HA! Yeah...

I usually get sleepy when I'm diving off a charter boat with a bunch of other people...you come up to the boat in shallow water and there is kind of a little waiting line to get on the boat. It's easy to kick back and relax on the bottom and just nod off.

Thats a great big YES. Like rmediver2002, I was on hooka but had constant com-checks topside.
Conducting a mussel survey in the St. Francis (Arkansas), zero visibility, nothing to do but swim around on the bottom and feel for Potamilus capax. Really no reason to keep your eyes open, you couldn't see anything anyway, very quite and peaceful.
Want do that again!

Steven

Great, just great...

Now I have to worry about falling asleep underwater. I wonder if DAN has done any research on diving deaths and OOA caused by narcoleptic diving accidents.

Sheesh, I find the sport relaxing too...note to self...ensure buddy pokes me every few minutes if I appear to be a little too relaxed.

This reminds me of a great story from a friend who was driving late at night across the Praries. The roads go on forever with no turns. Boring. It was late at night after a hard day and he was travelling between towns. He decided to play a little game with himself as he drove. He would close his eyes and see how long he could keep driving straight before he freaked out and opened them again. Well...you know what happened...rumble strips...snap back to reality..."I don't think I'll play this game anymore."

I almost go into into a state of halluciations...It's so relaxing...the green hue...no worrys....love that feeling

Memo to self - have buddy poke at me every few minutes to assure consciousness...

OOA would be a scary though I hadn't considered. :wacko: Yikes.

What about behind the "wheel" of a Gavin....? Can you see it - bouncing off the cave walls as you're on the nods. Bouncing your melon off the cieling... Not good. I wonder if one gas promotes sleepiness of another.

Thsi is good stuff here. Bwerb, your reaction was priceless.... sort of an "Oh %#$^...I better choose a buddy that's not prone to nodding off on the hang... Gimmie that log book, man..."

:)

K

Seeing how long you can drive with your eyes closed has GOT to be just a little bit worse than napping while diving :)

I wonder if you are really "asleep" or just a peaceful state of mind we don't experience very often....interesting, good post.

Back
Top Bottom