Have you ever fallen asleep underwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know, I haven't ever completely fallen asleep. I've just gotten into that "I'm about to nod off" state of mind...kinda dreaming, kinda awake, just soooo relaxed. It's that same feeling you get right before you fall asleep.

I have almost fallen asleep in the pool. As a TA and the instructor is doing things with the class and there is nothing really to do but sit on the bottom or blow bubble rings or something.

Personally i have never fallen alseep while underwater.

During long deco dives i usually hang from a lift bag and look at everything below me and of course watch out for the fishing boats passing above me.

Ive almost gotten snagged by a trolling fish line a few times to the point where i couldnt get away from it and ended up cutting it with sheers.

Id hate to be asleep and get snagged by some amatuer fisherman thinking im a big blue marlin.

Have any of you "sleepdivers" ever had other divers think you blacked out of had some other dive symptoms?

No one has assumed that yet!

Yeah, the time I fell asleep no one including the supervisor thought the lift would take near as long as it did. I had moved about 70 feet from the site of the lift and was supposed to just sit in that spot until after the lift and then go back to cutting.

We were working in florida and the water was in the 80's, I layed down on the bottom and then heard the communications guy yelling "ok red diver...ok red diver..." I answered and said the communications were breaking up a little bit and I did not hear him the first few times...

Jeff

Is not dangerous to sleep during deco ?
There is not the risk to spit the reg, and if you sleep your metabolism will not slow your offgassing ?

No..it's probably not the safest thing in the world, especially when you take into consideration the idea that you are not supposed to sleep after diving for what...6 hours?

But, it happens. Hanging on a line, surrounded by that deep blue or deep green is kind of relaxing =)

Then I'll probably die.

I ALWAYS (and I do mean without fail) sleep on the boat on the hour or two ride back to the docks.

I always sleep within an hour or so after a night dive.

I very often sleep between dives - as we motor from one lovation to another.

I have heard of the 12-or-18-or-24-or-whatever-it-is-this-week hour wait before flying rule. Never the sleep rule.

I have two speeds - off and on. I fall asleep in moments. I'm a total napper - grab 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there. I have never heard of the 6 hour sleep rule before.

I've even fallen asleep during my Scubaboard pos

If I were to ever actually try to completely fall asleep, I would be sure to have a full face mask on.

Either that or we just found another use for duct tape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom