Have you ever had to share air on a Long Hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done it for practice or to extend dives lots of times.

Only done it for real once. Descending on a dive buddy gives out off air signal. Donated long hose.Buddy points at his valve. I opened it fully , buddy goes back to his reg and we carried on.

Buddy was going through a divorce at the time and was distracted gearing up. Managed to turn his tank "on" a second time then crack it back a touch.Worked fine at the surface but not at 60 feet. He could probably have opened it himself but it was quicker for me to do it for him.

For real, one time.

My son ran low of gas while we were under heavy kelp at 80'. Although we could have made a safe ascent right there and struggled through the kelp to the boat, we were able to swim sharing on my long hose to the boat and switch back to normal at the safety stop. No fuss, no struggle. The long hose just made life a little easier.

Practice, every time I dive with my sons we drill on s/s at least once per day.

Last edited:
The only catastrophic failure I have been witness to resulted in bolting to the surface. Start of a dive, at 20 foot. diver 1 had her octo in her mouth and was looking at her main reg. Diver two asked if she was ok, which she responded "OK". diver 1 put the main reg back in her mouth and cleared. Next breath the diaphragm fell off resulting in "inhaling" water. I was 10 feet away, but she paniced. We were a 3-person team. I didnt even know why she went to the surface until I went up to see what was wrong. Turns out I caught it on my video camera.

Has anyone ever shared air using a 7’ (Long) hose on a dive? Not with an instabuddy but with a teammate or a known diver on a properly planned dive. If so:
• What were the circumstances of why the OOA diver went out of air?
• Was it a real OOA situation or equipment failure?
• Were they/you diving doubles?
• Did the OOA diver have bailout that did not work?
• If they had bailout did they expend the gas requiring a share?
• Did you have bailout? If so could you have handed off the bailout bottle?
• Was deco involved?

I am curious if this happed because we use extremely well maintained good quality equipment, train and have backup safety measures to mitigate malfunctions.

Thank you in advance.
Warm Regards
George

Yes, once. During a dive in Gilboa Quarry (Ohio) c. 1996. (This is a very cold quarry with maximum depth approximately 135 ffw.) My friend and tech instructor was teaching an IANTD Deep Air course. His two students--both big, strong guys--were in drysuits and manifolded doubles. I was there to play/practice in my tech gear. (I had already received my NSS-CDS Basic Cave certification by that time and my IANTD Advanced Deep Air certification, too, IIRC, and I had completed my Dive Rescue course, too, though I've never submitted the paperwork to receive that particular certification.) I can't recall for certain if the students were slinging a deco stage, though they probably were (given this particular course). The instructor asked if I would do him a favor and serve as a safety diver for this training dive. I'm still not sure why he asked this.

Deep side of the Quarry. The four of us were into our descent, the two students were a buddy pair, the instructor was adjacent more-or-less to the lead diver, I was adjacent more-or-less to the second diver. The second diver's primary reg suddenly began a massive freeflow. We were at approx 70 ffw and still descending, IIRC, when the freeflow began. He almost instantly dropped his primary and began to head to the surface. I almost instantly grabbed him by his harness and shoved my primary into his mouth and began breathing off my secondary, as he continued to ascend. My mask became flooded when I donated my primary. His haste for the surface decreased a bit once he was breathing off my long hose, though he continued to ascend. I continued to hold onto his harness, with my legs splayed to slow our ascent. I cleared my mask and recall being completely focused on four things: That I must not hold my breath, that I absolutely would not let him pull away from me, that he still had my primary in his mouth, and that our ascent rate was slow enough. My head was at approximately his chest/stomach level, I was firmly holding his chest strap with my left hand, I could look upward slightly to see his face, I could see my bottom timer/depth gauge on my right arm. Periodically I would reach across with my right hand to my power inflator to dump air out of my wings. (Strange, but my pulse is racing right now as I am recalling all this!)

Sometime during this ascent, I recall seeing the instructor "briefly" swim up behind the diver, though it wasn't until he and I discussed this later did I learn he had actually been there long enough to shut down the free-flowing post! (Perceptual narrowing, indeed!)

Everyone survived the incident intact. It was a valuable learning experience for everyone, including me! I had been involved in an incident somewhat similar to this during an open water training dive with open water students at a very shallow depth. But these were experienced, cold-water divers training for a technical certification.

Dive Safely,

Ronald

Last edited:
Only one real-world incident where I had to share with my long hose. I was DM for a charter with an AOW class and a student was quite low on air during the deep dive. I handed off the long hose and we made a safe and easy ascent. He said it was much better than sharing drills he had done with short hoses in training, but didn't much like my seacure molded mouthpiece. Really wasn't a dramatic event and the diver went on to finish the course without any further issues.

I've shared my long hose once with someone who ran low on air during a dive (ow). Shared plenty of times during drills (ow & oe). Offered long hose on several occasions while a problem was sorted out, without it needing to be accepted.

No instances of sudden or catastrophic gas losses necessitating air sharing to date.

Has anyone ever shared air using a 7’ (Long) hose on a dive? Not with an instabuddy but with a teammate or a known diver on a properly planned dive. If so:
• What were the circumstances of why the OOA diver went out of air?
• Was it a real OOA situation or equipment failure?
• Were they/you diving doubles?
• Did the OOA diver have bailout that did not work?
• If they had bailout did they expend the gas requiring a share?
• Did you have bailout? If so could you have handed off the bailout bottle?
• Was deco involved?

I am curious if this happed because we use extremely well maintained good quality equipment, train and have backup safety measures to mitigate malfunctions.

Thank you in advance.
Warm Regards
George

Yes once for real. We planned the dive but my buddy breathed through his gas a lot faster than expected and wasn't checking, and ran out. He was very calm, asked for air and I donated. We were using single tanks with no bailout (in about 14m of water) on an OW no deco dive. Had a 5ft hose.

I have also shared air a number of times on dives where a buddy hasn't had a full tank and they will start on my air until we are even and then swap back to their own. Single tank, no deco types of dives, again with 5ft.

Also have practiced with it a lot including planned drills and sometimes we will pretend to be OOA to a buddy (often in awkward situations to see how we go).

Also in Cavern, Cave and Accelerated Deco training I had to use long hose to share air heaps (due to instructor pulling reg out unexpectedly to simulate OOA), one time involved buddy breathing. Had doubles in all of those and 7ft hose. I do not find any difference in 5 v 7ft unless single file and given I prefer 5ft hose I will only use 7ft in overhead.

Once for real. We were doing a dive at ~170 on stages. I had already switched to back gas when my buddy went to switch. He did but got no gas from his primary. Rather than go to his secondary (in case it had no gas as well) he signalled OOA. While breathing off my long hose we sorted out what was wrong (primary was shut off), got him on his primary and we continued the dive.

Once for real with an instabuddy in Mexico. I wasn't sure what he was going to do, so after I gave him my long hose, I grabbed his shoulder strap on his BC and went up with him face-to-face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom