Have you ever had to share air on a Long Hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've deployed mine for two students during different training courses. Both times the diver panicked and spit the reg while bolting for the surface. Step one, climb up the diver, step to insert reg into largest orifice :D

I've deployed mine for two students during different training courses. Both times the diver panicked and spit the reg while bolting for the surface. Step one, climb up the diver, step to insert reg into largest orifice :D

Selecting the largest orifice can backfire if the diver is from Texas:D

Selecting the largest orifice can backfire if the diver is from Texas:D

Literally backfire huh?

:D

Well, I can offhand think of three occasions:

1. Early in my diving career, I had a massive freeflow (single tank). Went on my buddy's long hose (he was in doubles) and ascended.

2. Night dive at local site. My primary reg began to bubble slowly. This time, I knew what was coming, and asked for my husband's reg and we swam back to shore (easier than surface swimming at this site; he had loads of gas).

3. Boat dive on a new site with a new teammate. He swam up to me and showed me his gauge, which I erroneously thought showed 500 psi (it was 700). This site is near the entrance to a marina, so it is highly preferable to surface near the boat. I put him on my long hose to do the swim back to the anchor. He was not OOA, and I didn't want him to get that way :)

When my husband and I are diving in the tropics and have small rental tanks, we often spend five minutes sharing gas early in the dive, to equalize our supplies. The long hose makes this a very easy option.

And of course, I have done who knows how many air-sharing drills in the last five years, including springing them on inattentive buddies!

Has anyone ever shared air using a 7’ (Long) hose on a dive? Not with an instabuddy but with a teammate or a known diver on a properly planned dive

Not sure why you specifiy 7'? Many people dive 5' long hose on a single tank

To answer your questions:

• What were the circumstances of why the OOA diver went out of air?

OOA is not the only reason to donate - I donate on LOG up to and if appropriate during the safety stop, then get the other diver back on their own gas to surface

I've also done it to extend dive times when I've had significantly more gas than my buddy

• Was it a real OOA situation or equipment failure?

I did once donate for OOG - the diver didn't monitor his gas & confused his signal for LOG

• Were they/you diving doubles?

I have donated to single tank divers both when wearing doubles & singles myself

• Did the OOA diver have bailout that did not work?

No bailout

• If they had bailout did they expend the gas requiring a share?

See above

• Did you have bailout? If so could you have handed off the bailout bottle?

No I don't use bailouts

• Was deco involved?

No

I've shared air (and recieved) numerous times on technical and wreck diving courses - all simulated OOA, of course.

Otherwise, I've donated the long hose on several occasions during recreational dives, as a pre-emptive response to support low-on-air customers. No dramas.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom