Heading to Catalina for 2nd OW dives, any tips or suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What day were you folks at Veterans. My daughter and I were there on Sunday the 31st..

IrnBear

I've dove Catalina a few times over the last number of years and everything freewillie describes is spot on. Though I might recommend bringing your credit card and keys with you. I typically keep them in a small bag inside my wetsuit. Since I first explored Catalina in the 90s, it seems like the island has been on a bit of a downhill slide from the up-scale, proud little community I was so initially taken with; last time I was there was 2011. It could be just isolated incidents from a limited perspective of a few staggered visits that inaccurately reflect the true state of affairs; however, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving anything of much value near the stairs while I was in the water. I'd also mention that I've hired dive masters from Catalina divers supply and always had good experiences.

Surge was bad Thursday night and reports from a local instructor said it was bad yesterday as well. Grrr. Got to get rid of this global warming... too many darned hurricanes off Mexico affecting Catalina conditions this summer.

Surge continues to be bad and is apparently expected to peak Monday.

Thx for the update drbill, we instead rescheduled for 9/20. Given my luck there'll be an unprecedented 3rd hurricane to roll through by then...geesh.

Last night's dive was pretty surgy with current... not horrible if you are just diving, but bad for imaging.

Thx for the update drbill, we instead rescheduled for 9/20. Given my luck there'll be an unprecedented 3rd hurricane to roll through by then...geesh.
That sucks that you had to reschedule it.

My suggestion is either Armstrong's or the lobster trap for dinner. Now I want to go back.

Back
Top Bottom