Headway made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I would ever go back to anything but a wrapped hose, although I could imagine going to the 5' for OW. I just like not having big loops of hose sticking out from me.

And I respect your view. As of now, I cannot find anything I cannot agree with as I am still pretty new and so far, everything is making alot of sense.

On a side note, I just got a call from the instructor telling me he does not want discussion on long hose in his shop period. This was in response to another DMC asking me why do i not have my own regs and need to take the shop's and I explained cos I am not allowed to use my own due to the long hose. Said DMC got curious so I explained what a long hose is. And my instructor got POed enough about it to make it a point to call me to tell me he does not want any discussion about it in his shop. SO I just apologize and complied. Can't wait to finish my course and leave the shop.

From a previous thread I deduced you are in Vegas? I'm from that local dive scene but never had any dealings with your instructor or shop. If you want excellent instruction in the future look up Russ Howard at MISSION SCUBA and/or Steve Schafer at LAKE MEAD TECHNICAL DIVERS. If you train and cert with LMTD. Chances are you may never need to step into a shop for anything. Serious divers who take diving serious. They hate the local shops. IMO I understand why. Think your finding out why as well. Take care and safe diving.

Ironically I believe i will go back to the short hose. Why? After diving a long hose for years I never need to donate air so what is the point.... For travel a short hose is less to lug around, and if I have to donate we will deal with it.

So you are implying that if you need to donate a long hose is STILL the better option? If so, then we disagree nothing. :cool2:

The longer hose is not so much to "lug" around. Just roll it up and it I dont think the weight makes such a huge difference :wink:

From a previous thread I deduced you are in Vegas? I'm from that local dive scene but never had any dealings with your instructor or shop. If you want excellent instruction in the future look up Russ Howard at MISSION SCUBA and/or Steve Schafer at LAKE MEAD TECHNICAL DIVERS. If you train and cert with LMTD. Chances are you may never need to step into a shop for anything. Serious divers who take diving serious. They hate the local shops. IMO I understand why. Think your finding out why as well. Take care and safe diving.

I don't hate them, I just feel frustrated that they are commenting negatively on things they have not tried and just regurgitating things based on what they heard. The comment particularly that the long hose is JUST for cave diving and recreational diving has no place for it. Like I said, I just apologized and complied. One more month is all it takes to complete the course and I'm done.

I have sent an email to LMTD. Heard of them but never knew they have an "organization". Thanks for that.

Just excited to share that the instructor for my DM course who banned me from using BP/W is now using BP/W himself :D Seems my quiet persistance paid off.

Still no long hose and bungee though :p

Dare I ask which BP/W he bought?

I don't hate them, I just feel frustrated that they are commenting negatively on things they have not tried and just regurgitating things based on what they heard. The comment particularly that the long hose is JUST for cave diving and recreational diving has no place for it. Like I said, I just apologized and complied. One more month is all it takes to complete the course and I'm done.
Sounds right to me. Why take stuff you don't need. The long hose is for cave diving or wreck penetration, in order to share air while swimming single-file through narrow passages. It's a liability in open water recreational diving as a shorter hose allows more control over the donee, keeps him close where he can't do anything stupid.

Sounds right to me. Why take stuff you don't need. The long hose is for cave diving or wreck penetration, in order to share air while swimming single-file through narrow passages. It's a liability in open water recreational diving as a shorter hose allows more control over the donee, keeps him close where he can't do anything stupid.

Yup, another based on "sound" instead of "do".

If a donee can sign to you that he/she is out of air, I say he/she is pretty much in control and not doing anything stupid. Using a short hose in this case becomes a liability since both of you are literally hugging each other while trying to swim up, probably kicking into each other. The long hose on the other hand would give BOTH OF YOU better control to ascend (unless you suck) in an open water environment, recreation or other wise. Unless you are born with 6 arms and 8 feet, we all ascend pretty much the same way and the only thing that make it different is a short hose that forces both of you to stick together like a pair of Siamese Twins. So why should an ascend be different just because you are sharing air? :cool2:

Dare I ask which BP/W he bought?

I think the wing is a Zeagle.

Yup, another based on "sound" instead of "do".
As another poster mentioned, OOA incidents are pretty rare. I have, on several occasions, shared air to extend a dive. It's really not as difficult as you make it sound. Maybe some drills would be in order?

If a donee can sign to you that he/she is out of air, I say he/she is pretty much in control and not doing anything stupid.
Unless it's truly an equipment failure such as a regulator stuck closed, which is extremely rare, I say he already did something very stupid by running out of air. Until it's demonstrated that the diver was fault-free, he's the last person I would trust to remain smart.

If someone's air gets shut off mid-breath without warning, he's not going to be calming signaling that he's out of air, he'll be making a beeline for one of your regs, freaked out and bug-eyed. Giving a diver on the verge of panicking 7 feet of rope to play with is not high on my list of smart things to do underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom