Hearing-impaired divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome! It's nice to see a deaf Dive Master...

I would like to join you in your diving trips, but we are halfway around the world apart! =)

I have to agree with you guys, that we, the hearing impaired people, have a slight advantage over hearing people. It's amazing that we can actually say anything we want underwater. Even my hearing brothers knows some sign language, and while we were training, my diving instructor was amazed at how we communicated underwater.

I have come to believe that it's essential for hearing peopel to learn sign language because 1) it's a nonverbal language, 2) it would bridge the communication gap between hearing and deaf people, and 3) when you lose your voice, what happens? =)

Thanks,
Phil

Hello Naomi...

I am hearing, but fluent in American Sign Language. I was an interpreter for 10 years! I've gone diving with D/HH divers and the ability to sign more than "okay" and "OOA" underwater is wonderful!!

Welcome aboard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom