Help Ban Shark Finning forever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrett22

Lionfish Slayer
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last edited:
Signed, not sure what good it will do when the rewards right now far outweigh any risks to the fishermen.

Thanks for signing. :D:D

This is a pralude to all out war with most of the Asian continet because without wiping out the demand, the people making shark fin soup will not heed any law written to ban the practice.

Exactly, just stop eating the stuff.....

Thank You everyone and i agree just stop eating it gezz

While I certainly support these efforts, it is important to understand some of the social and cultural elements surrounding this issue. For example, there is a believe in some parts of Asia that shark fins lead to greater virility in men. Others believe they are an aphrodesiac.

But the greatest difficulty in ending the practice of shark finning would be to end the aura that surrounds the shark fin soup. Simply put, shark fin soup (or "fish wing soup" as it is called in some places) is a status symbol. The relatively bland soup is an pronouncement that a family has arrived at affluence. It is ordered as a symbol of position and status in restaurants or prepared when visitors call.

That is an extremely powerful incentive for many people to continue making and consuming shark fin soup. As long as that persists, the financial incentives will be overwhelming to continue the cruel practice of shark finning for profit.

In some parts of the world, the thought of eating a cow would be absolutely abhorrent. If those folks tried to go to Texas to stop restaurants from selling prime rib, how far do you think they would get? Clearly this is not perfect parallel, but I think the point is illustrated. Eating red meat in the west is as much about status and culture as about diet and protein.

The point is, while I fully support every effort to make it a crime to hunt and fin live sharks, the progress is most likely to be made on the social front. I have read that many Asian families do not realize that "fish wing soup" is actually made from sharks --although I have no way of knowing if that is accurate. It will take a massive education program and, most likely, intervention by the government of China at the very least before this travesty will be ended.

Consider this, by and large, killing whales is illegal due to international treaty. With what was believed to be a narrow exception for scientific research, whales are protected. But every year Japanese (and a couple of other nations) whaling fleets hunt thousands of whales. International law and all the petitions in the world will not solve this problem.

The US must find a way to pressure China, probably via trade pressure, to end the practice. That will require social as well as legal remedies.

I just hope it happens before every shark in the oceans is gone.

Jeff

Ok before I sign anything I need to ask some questions. This may sound stupid but explain shark fining. Are they getting the sharks and just cutting the fin off and then throwing the shark back in the water?

Sorry if the question is stupid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom