Help Choosing My First BCD????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we suggested that one already, well it was the DRiS branded package which is even cheaper, but yes it has been suggested.

That is a high quality piece of kit that will last you a lifetime regardless of what harness you decide to put on it. If you're diving in light or no exposure protection with a one piece harness I highly recommend getting a pair of these
Basic Harness Shoulder Pads - Dive Right in Scuba
they certainly help....

I'm going to take the plunge and buy my first set of gear and I need so help selecting my first BCD. After weighing the pros, cons, and prices I want to go with a Back Inflated BCD, please do not suggest a BP/W I've already ruled them out. I only plan on diving once or twice a month. Usually in lakes or scubaparks but occasionally the ocean. I'm 5'9", 160lbs, 32in Waist. I like to dive using an LP95 tank, don't dive enough to justify buying one though, so I rent whatever's available. Weight Integration is a must.

I'm purchasing through Leisure Pro. I've narrowed what they have down to these.
Mares Hybrid Pure ($240)
Sherwood AXIS CQR3 ($300)
Oceanic Excursion 1 ($350)
Cressi Back Jac Elite ($375)
Mares Hybrid Pro Tec ($410)

I would like to keep the price under $500 but if I'm paying anything north of $400 it better be worth it.

P.S. I had this in another thread referencing a full setup and it became to mixed up and confusing so I just broke it down to individual discussions.

Thanks for the advice and Dive Safe.

I've been diving a Scubapro Knighthawk since 2006 and like it very much, I guess it's out of your price range.

RE: HOG rig, I dive a HOG #32 in the Puget Sound with a single HP 117 tank, but also dive the same in the tropics (anywhere south of 34N Latitude!) and it does a great job. Once it's adjusted, you don't need to adjust again unless you swap exposure suits and you can use several types of weight systems (bolt-on, v-weights, harness, belt, etc)

That is a high quality piece of kit that will last you a lifetime regardless of what harness you decide to put on it. If you're diving in light or no exposure protection with a one piece harness I highly recommend getting a pair of these
Basic Harness Shoulder Pads - Dive Right in Scuba
they certainly help....
I thought ya'll said padding was a waste because it doesn't do anything in the water except add buoyancy?

I thought ya'll said padding was a waste because it doesn't do anything in the water except add buoyancy?

Because that his one man's opinion, and it is not one shared by most BP/W users.

I'll use a yakgrip if I want a bit of padding on a harness or anywhere 2 inch webbing rubs me wrong. You can get the solid ones that slide over the end of the webbing or the ones with the velcro so you don't have to rethread everything. They both stay in place pretty well. YMMV Yakgrips

Because that his one man's opinion, and it is not one shared by most BP/W users.

I think I'll just get the DRiS 28lb setup but upgrade the harness to the Hollis Solo.

In the context of all of the unnecessary stuff that is on jacket bc's, yes. These tend to be a couple pounds positive when they're just floating in the water which means you have to add even more lead to your belt just to sink the BC. When your BC is already 10lbs negative, you have a bit of wiggle room. When you are diving with a wetsuit, the plate isn't noticeable, and even without a wetsuit, throw a t-shirt on and you won't really notice it either.

I would stick with the stock harness and get the neoprene pads. They're more comfortable than the ones with the solo harness and saves you $30. Other than that they are identical. Webbing is webbing, d-rings are d-rings and the neoprene ones are much better if you are diving without a wetsuit anyway.

I think I'll just get the DRiS 28lb setup but upgrade the harness to the Hollis Solo.

I don't see the point of the "upgrade". You're just getting extra D-rings and useless padding. My favorite webbing is that sold by Halcyon, just the perfect stiffness/softness combination. One mistake beginners often make with a OPH is having it too tight. It doesn't need to be, since the crotch strap will snug everything up nicely when fastened.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom