HELP! Masks always leak!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a very narrow face and I tried on dozens of masks, the MINUTE I put on the TUSA mask I was sold, it was important to me to get it right early on as I had the pop in corrective lenses put in the mask also.

As I am in the 50+ group, I also have the CREASES. My mask does not leak AT ALL, additionally I put a neopreane strap on it, it reduced my issues with mask clearing as it does not get caught in my hair.

I too have a narrow face, but the seavision Classic fits like a glove

Don't smile underwater.....or pull faces at your dive buddies :)

Something not yet mentioned......

When you try on a mask to test its seal, do you have a reg in your mouth?? Look at your face in a mirror with no reg in your mouth. Then, look at your face in a mirror WITH a reg in your mouth. Different. Trying on a mask with out a reg in your mouth is just a waste of time.

Also, prior to masking up for a dive, not only wet your mask, but wet your face a good bit too.

It is amazing, but now a days they make masks with perge buttons. My mask does not have a perge button, and I sometimes will get leaks in mine. I just clear my mask, but if you can't, a perge button would definetely help me atleast. The masks with perge buttons are usually more expensive than masks without one, but if you think it will help you clear your mask, you should get one.

Unless there is a very very specific problem that for some unusual reason requires an unorthodox solution I recommend not to get too creative about avoiding mask leaks. The basic act of clearing ones mask should be practiced until it's second nature and not a problem. Likewise handling getting your eyes, face and nose wet. The correct fit should solve most other problems, short of an overly active face ;o)

The wrong mask can be a real pain in the butt. With the right mask leaks can be virtually eliminated and should they occur - its to be expected. All im saying is that its easy to make the initial fase when you are just getting used to mask clearing and water in your face too big of an issue that requires all kinds of nifty gear and manouvres to avoid when really its mostly about building routines and finding a mask with a proper fit and not strapping it on too tightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom