Help me find the best spearfishing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Black

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello guys, so long story short, I accidentally broke my diving mask and am on a search of a new one. I read a lot and at the end found myself wondering between Cressi Nano and Scubapro Synergy Trufit, which is a bit more expensive than the first one. But before buying I wanted to ask your opinions on which do you think its better or even if you are happy with another one and could recommend it me or give me some review! :)

I have not tried either, but what I can say is that it doesn't really matter what brand you get. The majority of masks are made by just a few OEM's. What brand they end up as depends on what badge or insignia is put on them. This is why you will see the exact same mask (other than logo) sell for $69 with an Oceanic logo or $35 with a Scubamax logo. No difference. Some do have their own molds that no one else will use but those do not necessarily mean they are better.
What counts is fit. Nothing else.
If it fits you well a $25.00 mask is priceless. If it doesn't fit well a $120.00 mask is junk.
Though I do sell masks I sell them with a return fit guarantee. Order one and try it in the pool. If if fits great! If it doesn't send it back undamaged for a full refund minus shipping.
That said you really need to try it on to be sure. A local shop is best for this unless the on line retailer has a policy like mine.

I feel lucky because the el cheapo US Divers/Aqualung masks that are sold in stores like w mart fit ne better than the expensive masks sold at dive stores.
It's all about the fit and not the price or name.

I use a black XS Foto Panorama GoMask. It fits great. I love the extra field of view the panoramic glass provides for spotting prey or predators. It has about half the volume my low volume Tilos mask has. It has a stainless steel GoPro mount and one of the posts are threaded so there's no concern of losing the nut. Got to have a hands free camera on me.

Even the strap is awesome. A little bulky on the backside because it's designed to pull the straps to tighten the mask and has a trigger to loosen the straps. An unexpected nice feature of the quick pull mask strap is back of the head protection from the tank valve for the erradict diving that comes with spearfishing. A little pricey but well worth it. If I lost it, I would have to buy another.

Hope this helps.

XS Foto GoMask Panorama for GoPro (Black Silicone) MA580BS B&H

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Fit and comfort are first but quality is essential as well. Not all masks are created equal and not all of mfg. choose to use the same cheap factories. I have a Scubapro Framless that I have had for over 15 years and it is going no problem. All Scubapro diving masks are made in Italy AFAIK (they budget snorkeling equipment that may not be made in Italy however). Atomic masks are top of the line and their quality is tops.

My experience with Cressi equipment has been terrible and I wouldn't buy anything from Cressi. We used some of their products in our dive school and they are the first to fall apart usually.

Speardiver Stealth Mask and GoPro Mount

Not sure if you're scuba or free dive spearing. But I've used a lot of masks. This one is low volume and a nice soft skirt. I have a hard time hanging onto it because my wife, or one of 5 kids always try to get them. We have two.

I use the nano - love it. Cant comment though on the others as i haven't used them. I have a very thin face so fit has always been an issue for me and i just got used to having to constantly clear the self de-fogging 'feature' of leaky masks. Fit is always #1 - the strap is just there to hold the mask in place - not to make it seal. Stick it on your face without the strap - it will stay there for a long time if it fits

They're both the same OEM masks, just branded differently and with different consistency in the silicone skirt.
For masks at least & a couple instances of regs (Halcyon & Scubapro) this is usually the issue.

I have a Cressi SuperOcchio and a Dive Rite Stowaway, same situation. the DR is more rigid silicone and kinda harsh, the Cressi is super pliable and soft. Funny even now, DGX is sourcing directly from the manufacture and selling this mask off brand too.

As for your choices, if it fits your face then either would be a good choice. I'd go with Cressi for a budget. They have nice skirts on all their masks last time I went mask shopping.

Fit and Tempered Glass.........to me that is what matters

If you need glasses a mask with exchangeable lenses is also important it is much cheaper to buy lenses than to send a mask out to have the prescription "ground" in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom