Help me find the best spearfishing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought, found and used quite a few masks. One that I found 9 years ago is still the one I use. Fit is perfect, though I could use a bit more peripheral vision. It's also very easy to apply baby shampoo for fogging-- no nooks & crannies. It is a Genesis--no idea how old. Fit is everything--hardly ever any mask clearing to remove water.

I've owned a few masks throughout the years. Most would work for spearfishing. My first scuba mask is the exception to that rule.

1st was an Aqualung tri-window mask. It had a couple of things not going for it as a good spearfishing mask. It had a clear skirt. And those side windows seemed like a good idea on land, but in the water refraction led to their being a bit of a blind spot between the front and side windows. That would be OK if there appeared to be a blind spot. Instead, it was more like the angle that it appeared to be was different than what I was actually seeing. It was distracting when I was moving.

The two I have now I really like. They are Oceanic Shadow single lens and XS Foto GoMask. Both have what you want in a spearfishing mask. Low volume, clear glass, and black skirt. The black skirt helps to reduce glare a bit as the only light hitting your eyes is coming through the front. I usually use the GoMask as I've usually got the GoPro mounted, but I'll use the Shadow if I'm not using the GoPro.

I have not tried either, but what I can say is that it doesn't really matter what brand you get. The majority of masks are made by just a few OEM's. What brand they end up as depends on what badge or insignia is put on them...

Yeah, branding - buying the same stuff, but for different price just because of the brand on it. Thank you for the advice, I will really test how they fit. :)

I feel lucky because the el cheapo US Divers/Aqualung masks that are sold in stores like w mart fit ne better than the expensive masks sold at dive stores.
It's all about the fit and not the price or name.

True that. :)

Fit and comfort are first but quality is essential as well. ... Atomic masks are top of the line and their quality is tops.

My experience with Cressi equipment has been terrible and I wouldn't buy anything from Cressi. We used some of their products in our dive school and they are the first to fall apart usually.

Thank you for the advice. To be honest I have also heard some bad reviews about Cressi.. :)

... I'd go with Cressi for a budget. They have nice skirts on all their masks last time I went mask shopping.

Hm, so you recommend Cressi, I guess I will have a got to my local shop and have a personal look at the Cressi masks there. :)

Fit and Tempered Glass.........to me that is what matters

If you need glasses a mask with exchangeable lenses is also important it is much cheaper to buy lenses than to send a mask out to have the prescription "ground" in.

Exchangeable lenses - thank you for the advice, I will write that down. :)

I've bought, found and used quite a few masks. One that I found 9 years ago is still the one I use. Fit is perfect, though I could use a bit more peripheral vision. It's also very easy to apply baby shampoo for fogging-- no nooks & crannies. It is a Genesis--no idea how old. Fit is everything--hardly ever any mask clearing to remove water.
Oh, another person, who uses baby shampoo, nice, so I am not alone :D . It looks that I will keep the peripheral vision in mind. :)

I've owned a few masks throughout the years. Most would work for spearfishing. My first scuba mask is the exception to that rule.

1st was an Aqualung tri-window mask. It had a couple of things not going for it as a good spearfishing mask. It had a clear skirt. And those side windows seemed like a good idea on land, but in the water refraction led to their being a bit of a blind spot between the front and side windows. That would be OK if there appeared to be a blind spot. Instead, it was more like the angle that it appeared to be was different than what I was actually seeing. It was distracting when I was moving.

The two I have now I really like. They are Oceanic Shadow single lens and XS Foto GoMask. Both have what you want in a spearfishing mask. Low volume, clear glass, and black skirt. The black skirt helps to reduce glare a bit as the only light hitting your eyes is coming through the front. I usually use the GoMask as I've usually got the GoPro mounted, but I'll use the Shadow if I'm not using the GoPro.

Low volume, clear glass and black skirt - noted. :)

Thank you all for the answers guys, you were awesome. I really wrote some tips down and learnt new things. I will have a go to my local shop now and hope to get the best spearfishing mask for me. :)

FYI. Cressi makes some excellent masks. The focus model is my favorite of their line, but the buckles snap off the frame every few years. I always end up wiring them together and then they are good for a long time.

I have a Cressi Focus sitting on my desk as I type this it is waiting for new prescription lenses that I just ordered.

Mask might be at least 10 years old not sure still looks brand new.

As noted in my Avatar and Resume I have been spearfishing for a long long time and spent a lot of time in the water.
(should you like to learn about my personal best fishes google my name plus diver or SCUBA or Spearfishing)

If you are truly intent on spear fishing and not shooting fish with SCUBA you will need a low volume mask with good field of vision and with a provision for equalization...brand or price is unimportant . What is of utmost importance is comfort ! In spear fishing it is not uncommon to spend hours in the water searching for the finny adversary

I first used a custom (Homemade mask) by the late great Charlie Sturgil. I then switched to a Swimaster wide view with its exceptional wide view and foam neoprene skirt which has never been equaled for vision or comfort. Sadly Swimaster is no longer in business but prior to going out of business I purchased 6 of the mask and have two remaining . Now on occasion the mask can be found on E bay some times reasonable price sometimes equal to or greater than the price of gold

If you are intent on shooting fish with SCUBA just about any masks will do. Take the advice of previous posters for your choice.

SDM

FYI. Cressi makes some excellent masks. The focus model is my favorite of their line, but the buckles snap off the frame every few years. I always end up wiring them together and then they are good for a long time.

Yep, I bought a Cressi Big Eye for my wife about ???.....7 years ago? It wasn't used much as our family grew, but the buckle did fail. However, I have a lot of gear and parts so I got the pin off another mask that had a torn skirt....and bingo. The Cressi lives. My wife is happy.

Hello guys, after a lot of searching and checking different masks, and luckily finding this useful article here Here are the 3 Best Spearfishing Mask Reviews for 2016 - Spearomaniac ,which helped me also a lot, I decided to buy Cressi Nano and for now it seems perfect. Thank you all for your help and advices. Cheers! :)

Hello guys, after a lot of searching and checking different masks, and luckily finding this useful article here Here are the 3 Best Spearfishing Mask Reviews for 2016 - Spearomaniac ,which helped me also a lot, I decided to buy Cressi Nano and for now it seems perfect. Thank you all for your help and advices. Cheers! :)
Two lens is recommended
For me, the two lens mask is the best option. It brings the lenses closer to your eyes and therefore increases your vision field.

Three and four lenses masks increase the internal volume making it harder to equalize. Moreover they are heavy and the additional lens don’t increase the vision range so there aren’t any real advantages.

Durability
Make sure your mask is durable and safe. You don’t want your mask to break during spearfishing.

For optimal durability the glass should be tempered and the mask with two lenses are generally safer. If the first glass is broken you at least have not lost your vision completely and you can go back to the surface.

Umm, unless I'm missing something, masks aren't double pane tempered glass. And if one lens breaks, the whole mask floods because it's not like they've invented bulkheads inside the mask.
Just had a good laugh at that.

Back
Top Bottom