Help me pick a dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For an Economical way to go, with out breaking the bank, go with
PRINCETON TEC - Lifetime Warranty against flooding, flood light, get it replaced.

Main - Torrent L.E.D.
Princeton Tec Torrent LED TOR-BK *Buy Princeton Tec at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
B/U - Impact XL
Princeton Tec Impact XL L.E.D. IMPXL-BK-D *Buy Princeton Tec at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
Tank Marker - Eco Flare
Princeton Tec Eco Flare EF-2-NY *Buy Princeton Tec at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

The other small light to consider as a possible Main Light is
Intova Nova
Intova Nova Light , LT60670-Nova, IFL660 *Buy Intova at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

If you find that down the road you really enjoy night diving or you get into a BP & Harness, then you can go with a Canister Light & convert the Torrent & Impact XL over to B/U Lights. On the other hand, if you find that you enjoy the night dives but prefer a pistol grip then you can go with the Shockwave LED. Same thing, if you decide to go this route, you still didn't invest a lot off the start.
Princeton Tec L.E.D Shockwaves TEC-8L-NY *Buy Princeton Tec at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Feel free to contact me if you need help with this.

Another fan of the Penetrator here. I have two of the original 180 lumns lights and 2 of the new 220 lumens on order. I use them in cenotes and night dives as both primary and backup. They are brighter than my Princeton Tec LED and have a smaller footprint and weigh less.

Actually, "Penetrator" is just a marketing term used by Piranha. They are really Dorcy lights. In fact, it says Dorcy on the light.

Customer service goes a long way. We've been dealing with them since 1996 and they've always stood behind their lights.

Agreed - had an older model Torrent that died for no reason at one point about after about a year and 100 or so dives. Brought it back to my LDS - which just happened to be DiveSeekers - who called Princeton Tec, who told Wayne "Give him a new one."

And so he did.

I'm torn between the Torrent and the Penetrator 220 for a primary light. I don't see the lumen rating for the Torret. Cany anyone point me to one?

Also, if I go with the Penetrator 220, which 'options' are worthwhile? I haven't been diving with a light before today and am not sure which things I'd want to have.

I think the current Torrent LED is 95 lumens, although I wouldn't get too excited about comparing specs with specs when to comes to lumens. Also the size, weight and switch methods are quite different between those two torches so that will probably have an influence n your decision

The options you'll want will depend on how you plan to use & store your torch, the type of diving you do and your BC

The options you'll want will depend on how you plan to use & store your torch, the type of diving you do and your BC

Good point. Newb mistake by me there.

The majority of what I expect my 'light use' diving to be around the puget sound area. Mostly using it for peeking in rocks and crevices for diff animals. I'm thinking I will want it clipped to my right side BC pocket area d-ring, and I like the idea of using a retractor to help me not drop & lose it.

If you use a retractor YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!

But seriously...

Personally I wouldn't use one, but whatever makes you comfortable. With that type of usage you'll be deploying and stowing it during the dive so I can see why the security would appeal to you. OTH a bolt snap tied to the end of the light reduces complexity & entanglement potential while eliminating a failure point, and if you turn the light on before unclipping it, they're easy to find if you do drop them (so long as it doesn't go out of your depth of course)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom