Help My Head From Spinning Please! - The Philippines!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved doing 44 dives in Anilao last year, but for what you are seeking I think the suggestions of Sabang/Puerto Galera are good ones. I did 16 dives there and that area offers more of what you are looking for. Of course there are 7,107 islands in the PI so your head could keep spinning for years!

Hi Sam,

Indeed the choice is vast... I have been living in the Philippines for 17 years and started diving in Anilao back then during a 5 years period. I moved then to Cebu and my diving playgrounds became Mactan, Malapascua, Moalboal, Cabilao and Balicasag Islands. Then a couple of years back I jumped into the professional diving world and run now dive centers in Coron, Malapascua and Mactan. We do as well dive safari around Southern Leyte and the Visayan Sea. Well, I can say that any where you will decide to go, you are guaranteed to have great dives and meet great people :). Tubba is great, but indeed will not be accessible during the time you will come to the Philippines. Cheers. JC

Thanks to everyone for all the awesome advice, I appreciate it so much. You guys are awesome!!!

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 02:52 PM ----------

So looks like we have decided on Puerto Galera!! Thanks everyone for your help.

With this in mind for those that have dived there.... any hot tips? Any things to remember to make the experience more enjoyable? Any must things to do and see.... above and under the water?

1. A small 9 holes golf course up in the mountain.
2. BBQ at Capt'n Greggs(1st dive operator on Sabang and is still going strong).
3. Verde Island(special trip).
4. Just to name a few sites:
The Canyons(27m). Hole in the Wall(15-20m) but the current can be brutal(Giant trevally), Kilimar Drift(on not too strong ebb, not for the faint-heart), Sabang Point to Monkey Beach(the soft coral in the shallow area is very colourful and healthy). Night dive on Sabang wrecks.
5. You will realize 4 days is rather too short. I would rather spend any time in PG than Manila!

Like others have mentioned +1 for Puerto Galera if you are not too interested in Macro, but beware once you do start looking at the small stuff it becomes addictive.

Almost everything that TS&M said about Atlantis is correct, I would have preferred to have half board as there are other better eating places (Captain Greggs as mentioned - great steaks) but that was not an option at the time and on a subsequent visit I used Asia Divers, who also have great food BTW but accommodation not as fancy.

Hemingway's for a special meal - Tamarind for lunch between dives - Toko for fresh juices. Not sure what the ATM situation is now but it was down at christmas and new years time for a long time so perhaps get some cash before leaving Batangas port. Papa Freds also does good steak and is a nice dinner spot. I found captain greggs just too noisy but each to their own, mind you it was over christmas and new year period so that may have been a factor. Pharmacy is very limited so take anything you think you will need.

Do NOT under any circumstances go into the female toilets at the floating ''bar''......unless you want to spend an hour holding your nose reading the ahhmm very colorful grafitti from the girls.

Just up past vesuvus pizza there is a hair salon run by some ladyboys who are an absolute hoot...they are quite often open until midnights and will give you a ''blow job'' for a great rate with Celine Dion blaring loudly. Donate any spare razors you have when you leave to them :D

OOPS! Sorry just realised you are the husband..please pass on the last couple of tips to your wife!

as much as I love Anilao, our trip over Christmas is that same timeframe and we are taking our adult kids to Puerto Galera. Two reasons, we think that reef and color will be a little better, and PG has beaches (for my granddaughter to play on) where Anilao doesn't . That said, if you are going to be in Manila anyway, I would spend 2-3 days at PG and at least 1 at Anilao. For two weeks, you will be kicking yourself if you only have FOUR dive days... plan for FIVE minimum, 6 would be perfect (and I'd personally split it with 4 in PG and 2 in Anilao, that way you can hit places like Kirby's Rock, Cathedral, Twin Rocks, Mainit, and Sombrero, Sepok Wall if you like wall dives, that's six sites and there is also Daryl's Laut (sunken hotel wreck) and Caban Cove... all in your wheelhouse, and all with the type of stuff you're looking for...

I'm not as familiar with PGs sites, but that's the other reason I'm going there and will haul my kids over to Anilao for a day trip from there. The nice thing about this plan is that PG has the standard Philippine cost structure vs Anilao's strange pricing and escalated costs.

PG has current, no doubt, but any good operator with a good DM is going to guide you to the places that match your abilities. Beside, on PG and Anilao, the great thing about them is that the bancas (type of boat) generally drop you and then motor to the pick up point and wait, so you drift and enjoy the sites... but normally there is so much to see within 200m of the boat even anchored at most sites, no real reason to get caught in the current.

my 2bits, maybe we'll see you at Christmas

Two reasons, we think that reef and color will be a little better, and PG has beaches (for my granddaughter to play on) where Anilao doesn't .
The only beach that any kid can safely play or for the adult to worship the sun is Big La Laguna. I certainly would not suggest anyone to walk on Sabang Beach bare ft!!!

I highly recommend this dive safari (its 4 days) and is TRUELY world awesome awesome diving. In the last year I have dove in Utlia, Roatan, Tubbataha, Palau and Sipaden and I have to say it was my favorite out of all of them

Divers Destinations -The Philippines - Palawan Diving

I have done other diving in the Philippines (Balicasag, is also amazing!!!) but I havent written those blog posts (yet)...plan on working on one about all the activites (beyond diving) to do around El Nido in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom