Help w/ busted BC pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steintheman

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last month, I got stuck in a situation where I had to throw a 4 lb block weight in the cummerbund pocket of my Aqualung Malibu RDS in order to descend. While at about 45 ft, while adjusting my cummerbund, the weight tore through the fabric at the bottom of the pocket and plunked down in the sand below. The cummerbund pocket wasn't designed to hold lead block weights, so I can't complain too much about it tearing out, only now my only goody pocket on my BC is unusable. I asked the folks at my lds if they knew where I could get the pocket repaired, but they didn't know, stating that seamstresses or shoe repair shops probably wouldn't touch it due to liability risk with it being a part of a life support system. Now I haven't actually called anyone to verify if this is true or not. I figured I'd throw it on the board, thinking that someone out there has had experience with this or a similar problem. So, anyone have any ideas on how to get my pocket fixed? Oh, and I can't sew and even if I could learn tomorrow, wouldn't trust myself to fix it.

If you have a leather shop that does horse blanket repairs and the like...They have the sewing machine and the materials to repair it...

Paul in VT

call seaquest/aqualung and see what they say. They seem to be able to fix any thing on the bc

Of course, most the BC's we sell are Zeagles, so they don't have problems... or if they do - they fix them no charge... :wink: But for those other brands when we need a little quick fix, we take stuff to a Upholstery Shop that is around the corner from us. They've got the heavy duty sewing machines, and can sew it up real quick for us. And heck, if they can fix a seat in a Lexus, I guess they can stictch a pocket on a BC.

They have never said anything about liabitlity.... can't really see them having any, they are fixing a pocket, not a bladder.

Ended up taking the BC down to a luggage/shoe/clothing repair shop right down the street. They had me fixed up better than new overnight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom