HELP WANTED: How to dive with a COLD....or something like it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pseudoephedrine found in most decongestants is a bad mix with nitrox, too... I understand it increases the chance of ox-tox.

I'm wary of diving w/colds. Have missed dives before because of them, but am more than happy to go on the next when my head is clear.

okay...i didn't do saturday dives. but ended up doing 1 sunday dive. i've been loading on up sudafed, since friday and both sudafed and cough meds since saturday. i was able to clear without problems. i don't know if this is the recommended, but it did work in my circumstances. glad i didn't do saturday though.

After posting my reply in this topic, I may have to apply it to myself. Our OW cert dives are this coming weekend, and I have that slight congestion and irritation that precedes a cold.

It would figure; I've gone all year without catching a cold or flu, and the week of the dive trip would be when one decides to catch up with me.

I'm going to focus on the preventatives this week...

Don't do it. Worst case is snot will be pushed up into your eustachian tube which will:

1. Block it and you will not be able to equalize effectively.
2. Give you a whopping ear infection.
3. Due to you inability to equalize, damage your ear drum.

Took me 8 weeks before I could get back to the water.

The pseudoephedrine found in most decongestants is a bad mix with nitrox, too... I understand it increases the chance of ox-tox.
In this thread there is a post on the subject of pseudoephedrine and nitrox by DocVikingo in which he describes the link between use of the drug and increased ox-tox risk as "largely theoretical."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/231960-ear-drops-help-equalize.html

Here is a more complete treatment of the subject by DAN that reinforces the notion that the link is tenuous:

DAN Divers Alert Network : Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving?

I'd also question the assertion that pseudoephedrine is found in "most decongestants."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom