Help with beginner diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi FT. I have just contact the embassy here, and I can get a 59 day visa in advance, which is perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: FT
it is really saying something when all replies are in general agreement. yes get your 59 day visa in advance. if you must fly into manila there is no harm getting certified in puerto galera. otherwise, fly into cebu city if you can. with a week each you can get it all covered well with wiggle room to spare. suggested and easily traveled itinerary is moalboal, dumaguete/dauin/apo island, siquijor if you have the time, bohol (reached from either dumaguete or siquijor), s leyte, cebu city, malapascua, cebu city, home. very, very easily accomplished. for detailed travel advice post again. these guys/women got it down!

would be interested in a trip report when it's over!

1. Most if not all places should be able to provide ow course.
2. Moalboal is the easiest to get to and diving/snorkelling is readily available on the door-step. As far as I can remember, current was never an issue there.
3. By the end of a two months diving trip and if you still cannot handle current then you have a problem! However, take it easy in the beginning.
4. There are relatively cheap places to be have on Alona Beach if you stay away from the beach. There have been substantial development on the beach over last few yrs. The charm has long gone, I am afraid.
However, Genesis Divers on Alona Beach has really cheap room at Peter's which is right on the beach. Very rustic room.

Yep, Alona Beach isn't what it was, just too much crowding along the beach, the Philippine charm is gone, and so is anything that really resembles a BEACH (its mostly hardpan sand).

I'd suggest Badladz in Puerto Galera, they have nice single accomadations for the traveling wanderer, the owner Gavin is easy to work with, and their senior instructor Gavin (different bloke) will whip you into a first rate diver in short order. In two months, they'll have you diving the Canyons or Shark Cave and you'll have your AOW completed as well.

Keep in mind that PG in general is a very LOW KEY destination (guess most of the good diving spots are).. if that's your style, you'll like just chillin out on the lanai or the beach in your down time, or hiking trails thru the hills. You won't find much else entertainment wise that's 'budget' by any stretch, the tourist restaurants and bars are pricy in comparison to local fare.

---------- Post added January 14th, 2015 at 02:27 PM ----------

it is really saying something when all replies are in general agreement. yes get your 59 day visa in advance. if you must fly into manila there is no harm getting certified in puerto galera. otherwise, fly into cebu city if you can. with a week each you can get it all covered well with wiggle room to spare. suggested and easily traveled itinerary is moalboal, dumaguete/dauin/apo island, siquijor if you have the time, bohol (reached from either dumaguete or siquijor), s leyte, cebu city, malapascua, cebu city, home. very, very easily accomplished. for detailed travel advice post again. these guys/women got it down!

would be interested in a trip report when it's over!

Even if all you do is go to Panglao and Alona Beach to dive, make sure you go out to Balicsalag and dive the wall, pretty awesome.

You may want to consider doing coron, palawan! The barracuda lake dive is a must! You can also do wrecks, and see the seahorse island (is that what they call it?) at night! Plus of course, the food is absolutely divine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom