Help with my first DC? Invest now or spend more later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel bad keep coming back and I swear this will be the last time,

My LDS is offering me a good deal on the Vyper...what are your thoughts on this computer? I dont care about the AI but I have heard the biggest draw back of this computer is the conservatism.

Thoughts?

Well my wife, and bestest dive buddy gave me a ruling today - Zoop or a DG03 (hollis) she advised me that I can purchase the Petrel on completion of my tech diver course.

Again thanks for all your help, my last request would be - for the price would you recommend any other computer over the DG03 for purely recreational diving with a max depth of 110feet? (my plan is to use this watch in gauge mode when i do progress to tec).

when i was in your position (OP), I bought a Geo 2, something i knew i could use for rec use, even later when i moved into tech, and i still love that computer. it would be perfect for trips to jamaica and other warm water excursions. I'm buying a petrel now, and still perfectly happy having my geo 2 for rec and as backup for more serious dives. It has a gauge mode, 2 algorithms so i can match it to my petrel, and can handle multiple gasses - nice info about it's red-to-tec features here. The downside for you, the buttons would be hard to press with 7mm gloves i think, but again, would be great for warm water.

Now for the pitch :wink: It just so happens I have an extra one I'm selling! http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...geo-2-0-nib-never-used-trade-steel-tanks.html

Last edited:
I have seen the Vyper sold for $250-300 lately. We have low and cold water (i.e. additional stressors) so I generally think a little conservatism isn't a bad thing. As you may have noticed, many other will feel strongly about their own opinions.

I feel bad keep coming back and I swear this will be the last time,

My LDS is offering me a good deal on the Vyper...what are your thoughts on this computer? I dont care about the AI but I have heard the biggest draw back of this computer is the conservatism.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are Suuntos seem to be a bad combination of over-priced, failure prone, and poorly supported (check the Suunto forum for an example of Suunto's rep saying that mere use of non-Sunnto dive logging software, ie MacDive, was grounds to withdraw the diver's warranty and could be the source of the diver's connection problems...turns out it was a bad connection in Suunto's overpriced USB cable). The fact they're stupidly conservative--especially on repetitive dives--is just icing on the turd sandwich.

I wouldn't give them a dollar for a DX, but clearly plenty of people dive with their gear...so YMMV.

Between Zoop and Hollis dG03, I will also suggest Hollis DG03. It does everything for recreational dive, and if you ever get into tech dive, it can run in gauge mode, which makes a good backup timing/depth device. it is $250

Persoanlly, I will would never spend the kind of money on computer like Oceanic OCi, Scubapro Sol/Luna ..... AI, internal compass, heard rate monitor ... they all don't improve my diving experience. A colorful, big, easily to read screen does immediately and it is the only thing I am willing to pay upward of $800 for

My thoughts are Suuntos seem to be a bad combination of over-priced, failure prone, and poorly supported (check the Suunto forum for an example of Suunto's rep saying that mere use of non-Sunnto dive logging software, ie MacDive, was grounds to withdraw the diver's warranty and could be the source of the diver's connection problems...turns out it was a bad connection in Suunto's overpriced USB cable). The fact they're stupidly conservative--especially on repetitive dives--is just icing on the turd sandwich.

I wouldn't give them a dollar for a DX, but clearly plenty of people dive with their gear...so YMMV.

For the record, I have had excellent service from Suunto. A non Suunto dive shop broke the screw thread off trying to replace a battery for me on my computer (Suunto guys were on vacation). Suunto picked it up from my front door, replaced it with a brand new model and delivered it back, all they charged me for was a new battery. That's pretty good customer service to my mind. You will find quite a few recreational divers use Suunto; its useful to be diving the same algorithm. Vyper is robust, battery change is easy and it has big buttons for gloves.

For the record, I have had excellent service from Suunto. A non Suunto dive shop broke the screw thread off trying to replace a battery for me on my computer (Suunto guys were on vacation). Suunto picked it up from my front door, replaced it with a brand new model and delivered it back, all they charged me for was a new battery. That's pretty good customer service to my mind. You will find quite a few recreational divers use Suunto; its useful to be diving the same algorithm. Vyper is robust, battery change is easy and it has big buttons for gloves.

I don't think that's a common experience with Suunto in the US. Guess you guys need to get some breaks to make up for Atomic Aquatics EU being uniformly terrible, versus AA's excellent US service/support.

Not sure whether Suunto Canada would be the same as US or not.

Don't hear much about the Cressi DC's. on this site. Could that be that they are more prevalent over seas?? I scoured the internet for reviews and found great feedback about the Leonardo.

As luck would have it, a guy that works at my company wants to start tech diving and is selling me his that is in mint condition for $150.00

FFN

Hey guys,

I figured I'd let you know what I purchased just to close this thread up. Due to location and what was available I did end up going with the Suunto Vyper, if i had the extra cash I would surely have went with the petrel!

I dove with the vyper all weekend long and I have to admit I am blown away at how easy it is to use. Without a doubt I am happy with the purchase, especially the fact that it can go into gauge mode, and the computer output is nice too! This will do me easily all the way to tech diving!

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom