Help with my first DC? Invest now or spend more later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, based on someone who is a rec diver who wants a dependable, easy to operate DC what would you suggest?? Keep in mind, I am interested in more bottom time to dive for Meg teeth with Nitrox and want a device to depend on at deeper depths.

Thanks
FFN

That sounds like a square profile dive, all you need is a bottom timer and tables.

Well - budget depends on what I get for the money. I don't think I really need AI and I'm kind of a minimalist, wanting safety to be paramount and bells and whistles secondary.

Ideally (b/c I have so many hobbies that I do daily and blow money on GEAR - and being landlocked I dive less often) I'd like to spend less than $500.
Have you thought about a used Uwatec Aladin? Lots of different models out there - so be sure to look to make sure it is Nitrox capable. Good refurbs with new batteries run less than $300. Very reliable. Until the battery dies. Then it gets very messy. But that could be 500 dies into your future. Consider it a disposable computer.

And there are lots of other models of used computers to be found on ebay. As long as you do some research and are aware of the their reliability, there is no reason not to consider a used computer.

Have you thought about a used Uwatec Aladin? .... Good refurbs with new batteries run less than $300.
See my post #17 in this thread. Actually it is less than $300 for new one.

If you are sure you will be tech diving the petrel is a great computer. It's more than almost any diver needs. It's also complicated and not a proper wrist comp.

Hardly complicated, why is it not a proper wrist comp?

Hardly complicated, why is it not a proper wrist comp?
petrelvspred.jpg$(KGrHqN,!n0FHdQY2RglBS!tZKb+2g~~60_3.jpg

Do you see a difference? It's a brick and yes you can tape a brick to your wrist but does that make it a watch?

View attachment 190106View attachment 190107

Do you see a difference? It's a brick and yes you can tape a brick to your wrist but does that make it a watch?
You are correct, it is not a "dive watch" but then nobody claimed that it was. It is, however, a wrist computer and a very good one at that. I think if the OP was looking for a dive watch he would have mentioned it in his original post. Your photo comparison really shows the difference in how easy it is to read a Petrel compared to a puck.

You seem to be confusing respecting your opinion with not challenging it with my own.
Not even remotely close. Those that see the world as black and white often see nothing.

Getting from basic OW to a decent tech cert takes a lot of time and money. It's probably much more expensive than you think and that adds to the time since you have to save the money first. If money isn't an issue, then go ahead an get the Petrel, why not?

Otherwise you can do like I did and buy a simple bottom timer. You don't really need more than that for a tech cert. If you buy the Petrel now, you wont be using the features that make it expensive for some years and when you starting using them, there will be a Petrel 2.0 or 3.0 on the market that you would like to have instead.

Well you guys have given me a TON to think about...lots of information to go over:

Petrel Pros:
Big display thats easy to read
Gauge Mode
Top of the line computer
Killer customer service
User changeable batteries
Can do nitrox/Tri mix
Will grow with me as a diver
Customizable display for rec mode
Can easily handle tech diving requirements
Will be a kick butt backup computer down the road
easy computer software

Petrel Cons:
Expensive - 2-3x the cost of what a Basic OW diver needs.
Potential to be out of date by the time I hit Tech diving (still able to handle the basics of course)
Can do things that I dont even know exist now (but not really a con eh?)
SUPER expensive backup computer down the road (maybe not a bad thing for hardcore tech diving)

Your posts have introduced me to other types of computer such as the hollis and aladins which I never did explore before, and I must be honest If I have the money laying around I'm going to splurge for the Petrel, however my wife has "given" me permission to get a 500$ watch and take my AOW course...however...I think I'd rather have a DC and get more normal dives in...

You guys have been a blast! Thanks for the information!

Another pro is that you don't have to buy an expensive download cable.

Back
Top Bottom