Help with my first DC? Invest now or spend more later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At one time I thought AI and wireless transmitter would be great to have, now I wouldn't give you a thankyou for either. I have a Predator which I love, it is a bit big and clunky but it is difficult or impossible to get a better display. The size is not a big issue in a drysuit but on a bare wrist it is a little big. I have seen the Petrel and the display is almost as good and Shearwater's support is excellent.

I can't remember the last time I even looked at my SPG during the kind of dive you describe, so there's that. And since I can see the SPG just as easily as I can see my wrists...I think you and I experience dive ergonomics differently.

For what it's worth, I clip the SPG to my left hip if I'm not carrying a large slung tank on that side, and can see it just by glancing back. If it's a deeper dive and I either want the thing right in my face because narcosis/speed of depletion at depth and/or I have a bunch of tanks slung on the left, I'll run it under the arm, clipped at the shoulder, and can see it just by glancing down. On my CCR, I run the SPGs for the unit over the shoulders and clip them off...the left side one with the LPI hoses. Again, just glance down, no grabbing the SPG required.

The D4 is somewhat, though not radically, cheaper. You wouldn't have caught me suggesting a $1200 Predator for rec divers, but SW has changed the Petrel's relevance to rec divers by making it a lot more competitive on price (we're seeing lower-level players like SP drop the price of less competitive computers like the Luna lately, and I suspect the Petrel's price proximity is to thank). For the OP, though, I don't see why a midrange rec computer's the way to go; either get something super cheap with a gauge mode, or go all the way.

Indeed, a $200 DG03 or similar would "meet his needs" too. But he's already said he's not looking for bargain basement, so this isn't all that important.

The D4 isn't easier to use by any standard of which I'm aware...the U/I on each computer is very different and the Petrel's is more intuitive. Try reading a manual for both and see. In terms of use while diving, the Petrel is going to offer more data in an easier to see manner without hitting any buttons, even more data more easily accessed by hitting buttons, and will allow for making changes while diving that can range from nice to safety-related. How, aside from AI, is a D4 "easier to use"?

I think your (3) and (5) points are the same...we get it, you think SPGs are a real problem to use and AI is great. There's nothing wrong with that, though I think it says more about your SPG configuration and diving than it does about much else...but again, the OP said he doesn't care about AI.

(6) amuses me...just a bit ago you said he could make up for the connection reliability part of AI by having an SPG.

(7) is interesting. The OP specifically asked about the Petrel, so you must have had some kind of bad experience with tech divers yourself? Personally, I usually go solo when I'm on a rec boat and never discuss my gear with anyone. If someone wants to know what I think of what I'm diving, they can ask.

I have on two separate occasions been witness to long speeches about how only an amateur would use Wireless AI and how this guys petrel (it was some shearwater thing raptor or predator) is everything I need. Totally unsolicited just sitting around. It's prob just bad luck but I don't really like telling other divers why my gear would be better than theirs. Or why experts only use this or that. Everybody is different, what if I just like the color of my PDC? That's enough reason to keep it.

You are apparently a very advanced diver who can operate without many things while operating many other things that most can't. Keep in mind that even at a dry suit level close to 99% of divers will never wear one.
I doubt even 10% of divers ever see 130'.

And yes people who do not belong in the water let alone under it often hold unreasonably high certification. That's life. The petrel provides a lot of information that can be confusing for even a diver who has a lot of normal, shallow dives. What's PPO2? I would bet most divers don't know.

But people who are underwater and those that belong underwater are a fairly different set of people. That's the problem. It's fine you think it's wrong just like it's fine that I think it's right. I respect your opinion. Too many on this board don't know how to respect others' opinions.

You seem to be confusing respecting your opinion with not challenging it with my own. If you think I need to make sure everyone knows my internet forum posts are merely my own opinion...yeah, good luck with that.

I have on two separate occasions been witness to long speeches about how only an amateur would use Wireless AI and how this guys petrel (it was some shearwater thing raptor or predator) is everything I need. Totally unsolicited just sitting around. It's prob just bad luck but I don't really like telling other divers why my gear would be better than theirs. Or why experts only use this or that.

I agree that's douchetastic behavior. If you want to have some fun, though, tell a GUE guy the best way to do a 240' air dive with three deco gases is using a hosed AI computer (AA Cobalt)...it's a hoot to see the reaction :)

The petrel provides a lot of information that can be confusing for even a diver who has a lot of normal, shallow dives. What's PPO2? I would bet most divers don't know.

Not sure I agree with that, given the configurable screen. It'll show Gas, Depth, Time, NDL, and Stop only if you want it to.

Not to HiJack - but I'm kinda in the same boat here (except I don't want to be a tech diver). If you remove that from the equation and assume this gentleman should buy the right computer for him that suites his needs AT THIS TIME; then we are both looking for a dependable recreation dive computer that isn't going to break the bank if we out grow it in a few years.

I was considering the Zoop, the D4i (but I am turned off by not being able to turn off Dive Mode and I free dive a lot and it is more expensive), and the Cressi Leonardo (which has Gauge - why has no one mentioned this DC??).

So, based on someone who is a rec diver who wants a dependable, easy to operate DC what would you suggest?? Keep in mind, I am interested in more bottom time to dive for Meg teeth with Nitrox and want a device to depend on at deeper depths.

Thanks
FFN

Last edited:
Not to HiJack - but I'm kinda in the same boat here (except I don't want to be a tech diver). If you remove that from the equation and assume this gentleman should buy the right computer for him that suites his needs AT THIS TIME; then we are both looking for a dependable recreation dive computer that isn't going to break the bank if we out grow it in a few years.

I was considering the Zoop, the D4i (but I am turned off by not being able to turn off Dive Mode and I free dive a lot and it is more expensive), and the Cressi Leonardo (which has Gauge - why has no one mentioned this DC??).

So, based on someone who is a rec diver who wants a dependable, easy to operate DC what would you suggest??

Thanks
FFN

Budget?

Of those I say D4 because I think the Leonardo is not AI

If you want a compass get the Oceanic OCi, I use it and love it. It also does buddy air, I believe only the Suunto D6 does buddy air, and may also have a compass.

Aeris Epic is great and easy to find for 650-700 with transmitter.

Edit I'd also reccomend the Galileo Luna but it's pricey.

I think this is the wrong forum for this?

If you're looking for more BT, I'd avoid Suuntos; not sure where the Cressi model is in terms of relative conservatism. Something like a DG02 or a Puck, is going to do what you need and only cost ~$200. If you want AI, I'm not going to make any suggestions because I don't really keep up with that niche.

Budget?

Of those I say D4 because I think the Leonardo is not AI

If you want a compass get the Oceanic OCi, I use it and love it. It also does buddy air, I believe only the Suunto D6 does buddy air, and may also have a compass.

Aeris Epic is great and easy to find for 650-700 with transmitter.

Edit I'd also reccomend the Galileo Luna but it's pricey.

I think this is the wrong forum for this?

Well - budget depends on what I get for the money. I don't think I really need AI and I'm kind of a minimalist, wanting safety to be paramount and bells and whistles secondary.

Ideally (b/c I have so many hobbies that I do daily and blow money on GEAR - and being landlocked I dive less often) I'd like to spend less than $500.

Well - budget depends on what I get for the money. I don't think I really need AI and I'm kind of a minimalist, wanting safety to be paramount and bells and whistles secondary.

Ideally (b/c I have so many hobbies that I do daily and blow money on GEAR - and being landlocked I dive less often) I'd like to spend less than $500.

AI is certainly not necessary, I personally think it's very useful and makes my dives longer with more time to see fish and catch lobsters, whatever. I don't count staring at my gauges as "fun".

I think the Leonardo would be great if you don't want AI and want something on your wrist.

If you want to spend 500, I would say the D4. At least there you have the option to go AI later.

If you are sure you will be tech diving the petrel is a great computer. It's more than almost any diver needs. It's also complicated and not a proper wrist comp.

AI is certainly not necessary, I personally think it's very useful and makes my dives longer with more time to see fish and catch lobsters, whatever. I don't count staring at my gauges as "fun".

I think the Leonardo would be great if you don't want AI and want something on your wrist.

If you want to spend 500, I would say the D4. At least there you have the option to go AI later.

If you are sure you will be tech diving the petrel is a great computer. It's more than almost any diver needs. It's also complicated and not a proper wrist comp.

Thanks--- I'm sure I WILL NOT be tech diving (that's the guy that started the thread and it sounds like for his goal the Petrel is the way to go).

So I'm still scratching my head: the running looks like D4, the Leonardo.... and the Zoop is still a consideration.

Thanks--- I'm sure I WILL NOT be tech diving (that's the guy that started the thread and it sounds like for his goal the Petrel is the way to go).

So I'm still scratching my head: the running looks like D4, the Leonardo.... and the Zoop is still a consideration.

Have you looked at the Aeris Epic? You could probably find it new for $550, it has dual algorithm, buddy air, AI, it's very small and easy to use.

I would say Aeris, D4i, Zoop, Leonardo from best to worse

The zoop is great for the money.

Aeris epic with transmitter for $469.99

It's not like you can't just use it as a regular
Dive comp if you don't trust AI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000M1Q5JC?pc_redir=1406544523&robot_redir=1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom