Help with my first DC? Invest now or spend more later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work on a US Army controlled Atoll in the Marshall Island. Their diving policy is ALL dive will follow Recreational limits...depths and no Deco diving. So even though I currently not doing any "tech" diving my Petrel is still on my wrist on personal dives. Tomorrow my Petrel and I will be visiting an upside down WWII German Hvy Cruiser...this computer is great both for Technical diving and Recreational.

From a quick Internet search I got a $550 (300 vs. 850) price difference between a Vyper and. Shearwater Research Petrel. You said ideally $500 and I can't see why you should buy a sports car when you want a reliable ride to work and the store.
A computer is a utility item. For everyday diving I like to have something that works just fine but that I don't have to feel overly upset about scratching, breaking or losing. But it's a matter of personal taste and choice so that's the end on this thread for me. You know what your own taste is.

Answers to questions:

1) Buy a nitrox computer that you can read the numbers on and that has a display that makes sense to YOU.

2) Ask this question when you are at that point. Computers (yes, even dive computers) evolve at a rate that you have no idea what's over the horizon.

3) Absolutely not. Never buy a computer based on what you think you are going to do - only on what you need right now. By the time you need a new computer the game will have changed and your options will be wider than at the previous time.

Think about it. I have a saying - "That x (whatever) doesn't owe me anything". In other words I paid a sum for it and it provided what I needed for long enough that I got my moneys worth out of it. That's all I can realistically ask for or expect.

Hey Guys!

Thank you soo much for your help! My wife and I are off to Jamaica to do some tropical diving and when we get back we'll have a look at the budget and make a decision. Luckily for me I have all my other "standard" gear so this is the last purchase before I start buying lights and that type of thing!

With all the information you gave me (gauge modes etc) I know that I want the Shearwater, but if I don't go with a shearwater I'll be sure to get something that I can use as a backup or gauge as I progress!

Thanks again!

Speaking as a tech instructor, if you came to me as a student with a 2 year old computer, I would only want to see something that can go into gauge mode. That's it. Then, when you get tech certified, you can think about whether or not you want a tech computer. There are some agencies that don't want you using ANY computer--period. If when certified you want to use a tech computer, then you can choose from the models that have come on the market over the years from the time you are asking this question now rather than one that may become obsolete in the next two years. The Petrel is an outstanding computer--I have one. It is, IMO, the best on the market now. Will it be the best on the market in 3 years? I have no idea.

3) Absolutely not. Never buy a computer based on what you think you are going to do - only on what you need right now. By the time you need a new computer the game will have changed and your options will be wider than at the previous time.

Exactly as Kharon said... In 2 yrs the technology can change pretty fast. Buy something appropriate for your diving today.

I was in the same point few years ago.
As already was told above, most tech divers like to have as second device, computer in gauge mode.
I choose Uwatec Aladin 2G Wrist Computer and very happy with this choice.
Pretty big readable screen, Nitrox support, salt/fresh water, support second gas (most simple comuters doesn't), sound alarm can be set, simple self-change CR2450 battery (I still have level 5 of 6 after more than four years use), stopwatch, gauge mode.
My son AOWD now and for me was no question which present he will receive on birthday. :)

There is no reason to spend the money on the petrel. Don't listen to the people bad mouthing AI. Air integration should be standard on any computer over $500. Why does the diving world seem to be principally occupied by Luddites?

Get a D4 or Aeris epic and call it a day. I have an OCi and it has never lost signal once. A petrel is a tech rig and unless you are a tech diver it's totally unnecessary and in fact worse than a wrist comp and transmitter.

You obviously don't have any real experience with Shearwater and tech diving. AI is a waste and I would never buy a tech computer with it. Most tech instructors are going to recommend against an AI computer. For tech diving a computer that tracks AI is not necessary and creates complexity. Most likely the transmitter will end up as a $400 paperweight.

To second boulderjohn, as a tech instructor if you come to me your AI will go away very fast. You'll put an spg on as your back up for monitoring your air. Your primary method will be knowing your SAC rate and planning your gas around that and that of your team. Any computer you have will be in gauge mode and you'll dive tables cut using v planner, some other software, or tables that are already printed and you just need to copy.

I dive a Shearwater Predator. My next or added computer will be a Shearwater. Why? Because in two years they will still be fully supporting my Predator, have done any necessary software upgrades, and any new computer from them will be as good, supported as well, and as easy and intuitive to use. My back up is a seven year old OMS bottom timer that I got for 100 bucks. When it dies I'll get another or if I have the funds to spare I'll spring for the Petrel.

If you don't want to spend the money on a Shearwater get a simple nitrox computer you can put in gauge mode. Leisure Pro also has the Hollis DG02 for 240 bucks. Then you'll buy a Shearwater down the road and use the Hollis as a back up bottom timer.

Don't waste money on AI now. That 400 bucks + for the transmitter is better spent on diving.

You obviously don't have any real experience with Shearwater and tech diving. AI is a waste and I would never buy a tech computer with it. Most tech instructors are going to recommend against an AI computer. For tech diving a computer that tracks AI is not necessary and creates complexity. Most likely the transmitter will end up as a $400 paperweight.

To second boulderjohn, as a tech instructor if you come to me your AI will go away very fast. You'll put an spg on as your back up for monitoring your air. Your primary method will be knowing your SAC rate and planning your gas around that and that of your team. Any computer you have will be in gauge mode and you'll dive tables cut using v planner, some other software, or tables that are already printed and you just need to copy.

I dive a Shearwater Predator. My next or added computer will be a Shearwater. Why? Because in two years they will still be fully supporting my Predator, have done any necessary software upgrades, and any new computer from them will be as good, supported as well, and as easy and intuitive to use. My back up is a seven year old OMS bottom timer that I got for 100 bucks. When it dies I'll get another or if I have the funds to spare I'll spring for the Petrel.

If you don't want to spend the money on a Shearwater get a simple nitrox computer you can put in gauge mode. Leisure Pro also has the Hollis DG02 for 240 bucks. Then you'll buy a Shearwater down the road and use the Hollis as a back up bottom timer.

Don't waste money on AI now. That 400 bucks + for the transmitter is better spent on diving.

That's all great but your prices are way off for everything and this guy is not even a tech diver. You obviously don't know anything about diving as a normal human being, you are too "advanced" lol.

Seriously it's almost like every tech diver is obsessed with gear. Buy something that works OP and don't get pulled into spending $900 on some crazy hydreliox 1200ft verified computer that lacks the best part about having a modern computer: wireless.

---------- Post added July 28th, 2014 at 07:22 AM ----------

And a wireless D4i with transmitter can be had used for $500. Please tell me how your cumbersome tube and giant box are better for a new diver?

Back
Top Bottom