Here'a a interesting question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
how long am i going to have to wait....its coming up to a year soon and if anything i have got worse!

I feel sorry for the other members having to cope with me :D

I just returned from a dive weekend, I'm sure the longer I Stay dry the faster I'll return to normal. I promise :) That or the jellyfish infected me altered my genes

I think it was the jellyfish....

Would that explain why I have a craving for peanut butter?

I would teach myself to check the quick connect better. then I would stress Relaxation underwater, helps air consumption and to a degree buoyancy.

I'm with Roakey here as well -

but I also think hawk has a good point - I was bouncing around and did not feel any comfortable after the first couple of dives...

We are currently setting up to always have fun dives with DM's from people's classes - that way they have familiar faces and they have a chance to go out and have some fun with it.

I would REALLY stress proper trim - seeing what instructors look like in the water really makes me understand why the DIR crowd tends to stay to themselves - it's sorta like seeing the light and then having the rest of the community make fun of you...

Anyway,
Big T

Originally posted by Friggincold

.A big complaint I hear is people are scared going to open water. If they can do these skills well they should have confidence going to open water.
All these might require a longer training class...hmmmm can we afford that?

Ok I've stirred the pot enough...

Friggincold

I can answer that real quick.. NO!.. unless you want to pay more for your class.. since instructors dont get paid nothing as it is!

I'd be DIR from the get-go
and
I'll second Roakey's post
and
I'm with Roakey here as well

Since this post is just as much if not more-so about "Thinking", I have one for you ... Actually, it's more than one but here goes ...

If asked (and I've done this little survey before on the SSN sites and it wasn't pretty) what do 90% of people have come to mind when asked what they think about those that are "DIR"?

This isn't a question that is really meant to be publicly answered but before you answer yourself remember some of those basic lessons you were taught as a child, or rather for some I better say, should have been learned as a child ...

1) One rotten Apple Spoileth the whole bunch aka The few ruin it for the many
2) You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.
3) You only get one chance to make a First Impression
4) It is never right to do wrong in order to do right!
and the biggest one of all ...
5) Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself ...

Then ask yourself why all gear isn't made to the DIR standard, why aren't all Divers DIR, why does the mention of DIR make for some of the ugliest conversations ever, what is it that turns people off so badly about hearing someone is DIR, what is it that has prompted some of the oldest and most experienced DIR Divers to break ties, why have some of the most prominent DIR Divers started to make it public that they are going to be forming their own branch off of DIR, why do some of the oldest and most experienced Divers on this planet and many long time military divers scoff at the mere mention of DIR?

I would impose some of the other key questions but they assume some of the above questions were answered properly. I've talked to a few people from this board about this and from that I understand for many sincere DIR divers they really hadn't though about it from that view point because this doesn't really point any fingers at them. But unfortunately, just as each individual represents a given association, you are represented to the public by that association. It gives deeper meaning to "Guilt by Association".

Just some food for thought ... blame it on Fishkiller ... they started this whole thinking thread.

hehe

=-)

ps...

really makes me understand why the DIR crowd tends to stay to themselves

Honestly, based on your post, I don't think you do.

it's sorta like seeing the light and then having the rest of the community make fun of you

I'm afraid that light is only a train and your in the middle of the tracks if that's what you think. For some it might be seen as having "the community make fun of you" ... Just ask our very own Mr Iguana Don, I for one, don't think it's funny, not even a little bit. He can tell you first hand that I think it's a much more serious problem than that and have no problem speaking my mind about it. I mean, it is only each others lives at stake here, not to funny is it?

Actually I would have to say it is more than an interesting answer, it sounds to be not only a heart felt one but one that was well thought out.

I believe I know what motivates this line of inquiries and I would have to say that if I am following correctly, I concure wholeheartedly!

I believe I will reserve thinking outloud any further until it is seen if the others pick up on it.

Dear Readers:

What I would change is to add to training the concept that the “final stop” of the “safety stop” allows gas loadings in your body to allow you to ascend to the surface. This final ascent does not mean that you are now free of dissolved or free gas when on the surface. Naturally, if you were, surface intervals would not need to be carefully noted.

Since you have residual gas, this means that, while on the surface, you are actually continuing your decompression. This being true, you are at risk for decompression sickness if you [1] add tissue nuclei to your body, or [2] reduce the blood flow. :rolleyes:

It is unfortunate that divers believe that deco is finished when they hit topside. Many begin activities that cause nucleation (lifting tanks, free diving, beach volley ball, etc) and are then surprised when they incur an “undeserved hit.”

Be careful and make “Topside the Safe Side.”

Dr Deco (Michael Powell, PhD)
:doctor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom