Hey Hoover ~ Did you ruin someone's dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey PerroneFord you asked some questions in another section. Take a look at the answers.

Its OK to be intense. Snowbear and I are some of the most intense people you are ever going to meet. But your flame is burning way too bright. Dim it down a bit and just enjoy your new love.

With a bit of experience all your questions will answer themselves.

Welcome to the neatest hobby around and some of the nicest people a person could ever hope to associate with.

Snowbear:
PerroneFord ~ welcome to the board!

May I suggest something? Rather than add the complications, weight and task-loading of doubles, find a few buddy/mentors who are willing to do some shore dives with you while you sort out your skills and buoyancy control. Getting out and just diving will go farther towards improving your hooverism than adding to your task loading will :wink:

Way ahead of you here. Did this bit last week. And as benevolent as these folks are, I feel really bad asking some of these guys to babysit me every time we go out. So what I am trying to do, is to do one weekend a month with them, and maybe another weekend with other hoovers so we can work on the problems. It'll be many months before I can even think about getting doubles, so no worries there.

Oh, and I told the nice guys who are offering to help, I am covering transportation and food. I can at least make the trip free for them if they are helping me out.

ArcticDiver:
Hey PerroneFord you asked some questions in another section. Take a look at the answers.

Its OK to be intense. Snowbear and I are some of the most intense people you are ever going to meet. But your flame is burning way too bright. Dim it down a bit and just enjoy your new love.

With a bit of experience all your questions will answer themselves.

Welcome to the neatest hobby around and some of the nicest people a person could ever hope to associate with.

Man, I got 11 years of catching up to do! I think I'll relax a bit when I actually get back in the water. Imagine where you'd be if you had certified and were then forced to wait 11 years to get back in the water.

Don't think I am running hell-bent out there. I tend to research things to death, then put patient plans in place to make things happen. Just my nature I guess. But this is about as much fun as I've had with anything in 15 years (including my ex!)

Cheers!

PerroneFord:
OUCH!! RIGHT IN THE FACE! :wink:
Damn, it's hard being fat...

Being in shape is important, no doubt, but there are plenty of BIG experienced divers with awesome SAC rates (for their size anyway). Keep it simple, get streamlined and RELAX. With experience you'll learn to breathe better underwater. If you're overweight don't try to keep up with the salad eaters. Do some searches on breathing technique (slow deep inhale, hold a bit for better gas exchange, then a nice deep, long exhale). Striving to dive neutrally buoyant at all times with proper breathing will do wonders. As you gain experience you'll relax more. You'll be less anxious. Less anxious = better breathing, less buoyancy, less lead. Better breathing = better gas exchange. Better gas exchange = more O2, less CO2. All this leads to good things. While you work on this stuff you can then start to think about your weight issue and trimming down a bit.

RiverRat:
While you work on this stuff you can then start to think about your weight issue and trimming down a bit.

Trust me, us fat people need no extra incentive or time to think about trimming down! :wink:

I've dropped 35 pounds in the past year.. and hope to drop another 20-30 this year. If I can do that, I'll feel pretty comfy about myself. Though I will have dropped a wet-suit size :(

Hi, I'm a very VERY new diver. At my last dive my SAC was ~ 18 psi / min, I really can't imagine how some of you can breath so lightly (less than 1 psi / min?)

I've got a huge lung capacity, think that's part of the problem? I'm also diving in relatively cool San Diego water with some surge and such to fight against.

Aside from "diving more", are there any specific tips to getting more time out of my tank? I think I've got my weighting about right, I'll be doing the weight check every dive I can. The weight check is, @ ~ 500 PSI, float about eye level, full breath takes you slightly up, empty lungs covers your head with water, right?

dolbersen:
Hi, I'm a very VERY new diver. At my last dive my SAC was ~ 18 psi / min, I really can't imagine how some of you can breath so lightly (less than 1 psi / min?)

I've got a huge lung capacity, think that's part of the problem? I'm also diving in relatively cool San Diego water with some surge and such to fight against.

Aside from "diving more", are there any specific tips to getting more time out of my tank? I think I've got my weighting about right, I'll be doing the weight check every dive I can. The weight check is, @ ~ 500 PSI, float about eye level, full breath takes you slightly up, empty lungs covers your head with water, right?

Welcome to scubaboard!

Just dive. Dive as often as you can. In San Diego, you have tons of shore diving. You can come up here to the OC when you get bored with SD waters, too.

The point is to dive. The more you dive, the better your sac rate will become.

Hope to sea you on the beach!

:gorgeous:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom