hey some questions on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd stay away from anything branded as Walmart, Target or Kmart.

Are you going to be diving, cold ,warm water? Wrecks, Caves, tech. All that you should factor into the program also. What is your $$ helps a lot too. Are you going to be doing a lot of traveling or staying local. Try to by the gear once, and save yourself a lot of aggrevation. I learned the hard way. Now i am buying all tech stuff, when i sjhould have done that in the first palce 3 bc's later,2 apirs of fins, pony bottles etc......

well I am going to be diving local and if i travel I would drive to Florida and do warm water diving there in the winter here. I just heard that some gear does not work well in deeper water and I am a college kid so I rather buy nice then twice. I also know the "cool" thing is not the best and i do not care if I look cool just want to have some safe comfortable gear. I am a beginner so I will not go to deep but rather not buy twice to go deeper. Again thanks for all the information from everyone :D

Masks...buy the one that fits, ignore price. Sometimes the cheap may be the best and sometime the most expensive may be the best.

Computers...if you're going to be diving with gloves on, make sure you can manipulate it with gloves on. I have a watch style computer for the Caribbean and I have a big ole wrist mount for my local stuff with big easy buttons. You're going to have to decide on your own what algorithm you want and how many gasses you want.

Exposure protection...you like not really going to find one thing that is going to do it all. The closest may be a trilam dry suit.

Fins...the traditional paddle fins are still popular today for a reason. In the end, the style of kick you prefer will help decide what fin to use.

Regulators...you will not be disappointed in most of your high end regulators. Don't go cheap on this item. Personally I like Apeks. Get an environmentally sealed reg. They don't have the freezing issues in cold water (>50F) and they tend to work well at any depth. Make sure you like it because you'll be using this one for years if you buy it right.

Snorkel...get one that is foldable. IMHO they are annoying UW and they need to be in your pocket. That way it is out of the way until you need it. Most agencies will teach you with a snorkel.

SB is going to give you a lot of good info, but just take any advice with a grain of salt.

Go to you local watering holes and see what they are using.

Figure out where you may want to end up and look at what they use.

Good luck.

Wow some great information thanks so much for your 2 cents I will deffently go to my local dive shops and ask them some questions. :D

Masks...buy the one that fits, ignore price. Sometimes the cheap may be the best and sometime the most expensive may be the best.

Computers...if you're going to be diving with gloves on, make sure you can manipulate it with gloves on. I have a watch style computer for the Caribbean and I have a big ole wrist mount for my local stuff with big easy buttons. You're going to have to decide on your own what algorithm you want and how many gasses you want.

Exposure protection...you like not really going to find one thing that is going to do it all. The closest may be a trilam dry suit.

Fins...the traditional paddle fins are still popular today for a reason. In the end, the style of kick you prefer will help decide what fin to use.

Regulators...you will not be disappointed in most of your high end regulators. Don't go cheap on this item. Personally I like Apeks. Get an environmentally sealed reg. They don't have the freezing issues in cold water (>50F) and they tend to work well at any depth. Make sure you like it because you'll be using this one for years if you buy it right.

Snorkel...get one that is foldable. IMHO they are annoying UW and they need to be in your pocket. That way it is out of the way until you need it. Most agencies will teach you with a snorkel.

SB is going to give you a lot of good info, but just take any advice with a grain of salt.

Go to you local watering holes and see what they are using.

Figure out where you may want to end up and look at what they use.

Good luck.

cquade7,

You should head on over to Divers-supply in Marietta, its close to you and they have some of the best deals around and are more than happy to let you try out equipment in their pool.

Also please note that their best prices are on divers-supply.com so when you find something you like make sure to have the local store price match what is on their website; which will require you to bring a printout of an items cost from the website.

I am a beginner so I will not go to deep but rather not buy twice to go deeper. Again thanks for all the information from everyone :D

I own an Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD which breaths very well in deep water. The "Supreme" part means that it is good for cold water (not necessary for you). The "ACD" part stands for "auto closure device" which is sort of an automatic "dust cover" which protects your reg as soon as you disconnect it from pressurized air. If you can afford it, I am sure that you will be happy with an Aqualung Legend ACD. If you can afford the upgrade, Supreme is a good option for flexibility.

ya and the titan looks nice also good reviews also

I own an Aqualung Legend Supreme ACD which breaths very well in deep water. The "Supreme" part means that it is good for cold water (not necessary for you). The "ACD" part stands for "auto closure device" which is sort of an automatic "dust cover" which protects your reg as soon as you disconnect it from pressurized air. If you can afford it, I am sure that you will be happy with an Aqualung Legend ACD. If you can afford the upgrade, Supreme is a good option for flexibility.

The things I would stay away from are any brand new "innovative" designs. Good design changes tend to come in small increments rather than a leaps. Usually the manufacturers are using the buyer as a test vehicle to see if the "innovative" concept will really be accepted. You will find many items such as the H.U.B. fiasco mentioned here.

ya and the titan looks nice also good reviews also

I am not trying to start a war by mentioning Leisure Pro (half the SB forum loves them, half hates them), but a war may ensue from this: I find the reviews on Leisure Pro's website to be helpful for general pieces of equipment. If you need advice, their website is as good as any to check out.

Back
Top Bottom