hey some questions on gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The things I would stay away from are any brand new "innovative" designs.

Are you referring to Sling-Shot Fins or split fins? Probably both? :)

It's over 20 posts and no one suggested to stay away from those who make puddle jackets and split fins :D

First off, I think it's important to know that price is not a good indicator of quality. For example, the vast majority of regulators made today work well and reliably. (Manufacturers can't afford the liability of building them otherwise!) Spending a ton of money on something that is overengineered for your requirements is just wasteful. As a specific case, I bought an Aqualung Titan reg as my first regulator. It has worked well in cold and warm water, throughout the recreational range. It's still my reg. It was a good recommendation on the part of my dive shop -- they did not try to sell me their top-end reg, and I still appreciate that.

Fins are another place where I think people get badly taken -- I was. It is greatly to the dive shop's advantage to sell you the newest, slickest, highest profit-margin fins, when most people would be perfectly well served by something simpler and cheaper. I got talked into split fins with the argument that I wouldn't get cramps using them. I didn't, but you know what? I don't get them with paddle fins, either! Buy simpler, less expensive fins and use the money you save to put spring straps on them :)

I think simpler works fine with BCs, too. The manufacturers push their dealers to sell their highest-end product, but adding complexity to dive gear often just adds ways something can break. If you think about it, a BC just needs to do a few things: It needs to hold the tank stable on your back (many aren't very good at this); it need to contain enough air to compensate for the gas your are going to use out of your tank, and for possible loss of buoyancy from your exposure protection (and if you are diving in warm water with a thin wetsuit, this isn't much); and it needs to be comfortable to swim in -- NOT to wear around the dive shop! Bells and whistles like multiple dump valves, big pockets (which often aren't easy to use underwater) and up and down levers add cost but rarely add significant functionality.

Masks have to fit. Pay what you have to -- but evaluate the fit correctly. If you put a mask on your face and suck in to see if it will seal, they almost all will. If you put it on your face and gently press on it with your fingers, and release, a well-fitted mask will stay put, and a poor fitting one will fall immediately.

Do look through the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. There are some definite themes there that are educational.

TSandM's advice was excellent. I bought a minimalist, travel BC (Zeagle Scout) and I am very happy with it. It has only two zippered pockets, both of which are reasonably easy to use. I wanted two more pockets and ordered Zeagle's "non-tech" pockets, which had zippers---that was a mistake since the zippers are flimsy and difficult to use with gloves on. I should have gotten Zeagle's tech pockets, which had velcro closures.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. Ya the titan seems to be great. I just read good reviews on it. the other information I will have to take with my to the dive shops so they do not try to pull some fast ones on me haha. thanks again!!!!!!

First off, I think it's important to know that price is not a good indicator of quality. For example, the vast majority of regulators made today work well and reliably. (Manufacturers can't afford the liability of building them otherwise!) Spending a ton of money on something that is overengineered for your requirements is just wasteful. As a specific case, I bought an Aqualung Titan reg as my first regulator. It has worked well in cold and warm water, throughout the recreational range. It's still my reg. It was a good recommendation on the part of my dive shop -- they did not try to sell me their top-end reg, and I still appreciate that.

Fins are another place where I think people get badly taken -- I was. It is greatly to the dive shop's advantage to sell you the newest, slickest, highest profit-margin fins, when most people would be perfectly well served by something simpler and cheaper. I got talked into split fins with the argument that I wouldn't get cramps using them. I didn't, but you know what? I don't get them with paddle fins, either! Buy simpler, less expensive fins and use the money you save to put spring straps on them :)

I think simpler works fine with BCs, too. The manufacturers push their dealers to sell their highest-end product, but adding complexity to dive gear often just adds ways something can break. If you think about it, a BC just needs to do a few things: It needs to hold the tank stable on your back (many aren't very good at this); it need to contain enough air to compensate for the gas your are going to use out of your tank, and for possible loss of buoyancy from your exposure protection (and if you are diving in warm water with a thin wetsuit, this isn't much); and it needs to be comfortable to swim in -- NOT to wear around the dive shop! Bells and whistles like multiple dump valves, big pockets (which often aren't easy to use underwater) and up and down levers add cost but rarely add significant functionality.

Masks have to fit. Pay what you have to -- but evaluate the fit correctly. If you put a mask on your face and suck in to see if it will seal, they almost all will. If you put it on your face and gently press on it with your fingers, and release, a well-fitted mask will stay put, and a poor fitting one will fall immediately.

Do look through the "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. There are some definite themes there that are educational.

it is often worth looking at the gear that is worn by those who dive regullarly in your own area. Usually a patern forms based on availability,servicability and what works well locally.

I think reading scubaboard isn't a good way to make choice of buying gear. Ask your instructor about it.
For me i'm using Apeks, Typhoon, Tusa, Aqualung, Weezle, Sitech and Diverite. Nothing of this gear i can't say i bad. I like it.
But if i have had enough money my choice will be different.

hey i was wundering if it would be okay to put 3 9/16 inch bands on a riffe c3x? i am looking for more distance without going to a different gun.

hey i was wundering why you don't start your own thread in the hunting forum?

edit - just saw this was your first post; welcome to Scuba Board!

From the main forum index page, scroll way down and you will find activity specific or gear specific forums; that is where your above post belongs.

Happy posting :)

Back
Top Bottom