Hi from eastern NY - a question already...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having dove/snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Dutch Springs (where I did my check out dives actually), I honestly think Dutch Springs would be heart breaking to a young girl who just fell in love with Cayman. Turtle, you have to understand at some level our mentality as scuba divers, especially those of us who live up north. Diving for us is a passion, and it makes us willing to dive in waters that to others would seem awful, especially compared to Grand Cayman. Dutch Springs is basically a large lake. There are no corals, no fields of sea life, no beautiful rock formations, no crystal waters, no sand, no gorgeous sunsets. It's a rock bottom, with some plain-looking freshwater fish, and some old vehicles tossed into the bottom to give divers something to look at and explore.

I think a 10 year old would find something like a trip to a large aquarium more exciting than a place like Dutch Springs. The RI waters would at least have sea life to look at, albeit not colorful like in Cayman. She'd also need a full body wetsuit, as the water will be much colder than Cayman year round.

Thanks neonstringray. The reviews for Dutchsprings are positive, but I wondered if it would impress after being at coral reefs. I did find crystal hunting in Lake George. I have to find out if it's anything more than looking at not-exciting rocks.

I was hoping with the wreck diving around NYC, there'd be a snorkel field she'd like.

If not -- we may go to Broadway (I'm betting the snorkeling is less expensive.)

I stumbled on this while looking for something else tonite. No idea if it's accurate. Snorkeling and Scuba Diving, Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area, Delaware At the bottom of the page, you can also select Snorkeling and then by State if something else looks closer.
Here's the NPS listing: Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

Now thinking outside the box - is there a budget?/timeframe?/travel restrictions? on this adventure? (I noticed you mentioned Broadway as an alternative - that can't be cheap...)

In 3 hrs:
Capture.jpg
you could be in West Palm Beach FL. I used a weekend in Sept. as an example. There's also other flights back later on Sunday.

WPB happens to be very near to the Blue Heron Bridge:
UNDERWATER SNORKELING TRAIL
The Blue Heron Bridge area has become internationally recognized by scientists, scuba divers, underwater photographers, and snorkelers for its abundance of unique marine life. Squid, octopus, spotted rays, and starfish are regularly seen. A snorkel trail made of limestone boulders and prefabricated reef modules was recently completed and spans a two-acre area in 6 to 10 feet of water. 600 tons of rock were used to build this artificial reef!
An idea of what to expect at the bridge: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/386645-blue-heron-bridge-trolls.html

LMK if there's any other way I can help you spend your money. :D

Diversteve has given some really good info that I'd use as a guide to see some nice waters without having to spend the same amount as getting to Cayman again. You're right that there are many good wrecks in the northeast but most aren't accessible to a snorkeler. Furthermore, when a wreck is shallow and close to shore it usually doesn't resemble a boat anymore, and is instead more of a debris field. Being able to still recognize the form of a ship typically means going into deeper waters off shore.

@DiverSteve

That FL site is an interesting idea. Broadway would cost us all of $300 for what I have in mind, so this would still be out of price range... however, we have relatives there we need to visit... so it might just wind up being a good idea. It'd be a definite if flights were still $75/round trip, like a few years ago. Definitely something to keep in mind for when she gets older too...

I haven't found the snorkekling info for Delaware water gap. I'll have to call a few dive shops. My guess is it'd still be pretty mild compared to Caymans.

Thanks for the ideas!!! Definitely outside the box & worth checking into.

@Neon - thanks for the heads up on NY wrecks. It's so nice when someone gives realistic info, so you can plan a good trip realistically. Thank you.

Having dove/snorkeled in Grand Cayman and Dutch Springs (where I did my check out dives actually), I honestly think Dutch Springs would be heart breaking to a young girl who just fell in love with Cayman. Turtle, you have to understand at some level our mentality as scuba divers, especially those of us who live up north. Diving for us is a passion, and it makes us willing to dive in waters that to others would seem awful, especially compared to Grand Cayman. Dutch Springs is basically a large lake. There are no corals, no fields of sea life, no beautiful rock formations, no crystal waters, no sand, no gorgeous sunsets. It's a rock bottom, with some plain-looking freshwater fish, and some old vehicles tossed into the bottom to give divers something to look at and explore.

HEY! Stop talking trash about our beloved quarribbean..! :)

Dutch is great for snorkeling, you just need to know where to go:

[VIMEO]65945770[/VIMEO]

Seriously, I'm not sure what the OP is asking - are you asking about snorkeling within a half day's drive of Poughkeepsie for a snorkeling day trip? Or are you talking about flying somewhere that you can get to in less than a day for warm water snorkeling?

Some people do snorkel in the shallows around the south shore of Long Island, but it's not really something that you would want to do with a ten year old.

Neonstingray is correct, forget about the NYC wrecks, nothing that you can snorkel that would be worth the effort. Yes, there are a few very shallow wrecks, but anything in the surf zone is usually just a few scattered pieces of lumber without much life. I suppose a strong free diver could hit the tops of the shallower open wrecks like the Stolt Dagali or the Venturo Tug, but I doubt that your niece is going to be dropping down to 60 feet...

As far as a quick fly-to trip, Key Largo has good snorkeling I have heard and Blue Heron Bridge is a good idea as long as you watch the tides.

Hi DoctorMike

If we could see some of what's in that video at Dutch Springs, it'd be quite a nice day.

I'm looking for a day trip from Poughkeepsie. At most, needing to stay overnight in a hotel to get an early start, but not a long drive to get there. 1-2 hours drive, not 3-4 hours. It'd have to be snorkeling with "visiblity when snorkeling", not diving.

I've kept an open mind to the air trips, but it's too expensive. The blue heron caught my attention because I have relatives there that I owe a visit to, so maybe if I could find a cheap flight. But it really is too expensive to add airtravel (plus then there'd be another kid who'd want to come along.) Even so, they are great ideas for me to keep in mind for future years when she's older & travel's come down in price.

So Dutch Springs is a little far at 2 1/2 hours. But the random fish on the video & ground cover would do. So how do I go to the "you have to know where to go" spots?

Crystal Island area of Lake George would be a reasonable drive. Supposedly you can find crystals there. Anyone have experience with it?

I offered to take her to a concert for her birthday & she said what she'd really want is to go snorkeling again. At first I assumed that was a crazy idea from where we were. But it's seeming like there's at least enough to make it worth asking :). She's young enough though that more than 2 hours drive & she'll be remembering the drive more than the snorkeling.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 03:16 PM ----------

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 03:25 PM ----------

In case anyone's curious at some time -- I'm posting the reply I received from Diamond Divers at Crystal Island area of Lake George about snorkeling there. I always appreciate when someone takes so much effort to reply to me! The 2nd paragraph about scuba describes some nice options.

"Snorkeling in the Caymans and snorkeling on Lake George is like comparing a fudge cake to a breath mint. I take snorkelers out but because there is a limited number of things to be seen, I really like to stress to everyone that it is not the Caribbean and you won't see the masses of fish and colors that you see down there. I certainly wouldn't want you to be disappointed by the difference between the two. That said, where I do take snorkelers is by the crystal hunting dive site. The site does have schools of fish, mostly Small and Large mouth Bass, Blue Gill, Rock Bass and sometimes Perch. The site is about 8-20 feet deep and occasionally we can find crystals. Most of the crystals are in deeper water, but with some persistence there are some in the shallower areas also.

There isn't much information available for snorkeling on Lake George. I may have just told you all of it. However, the lake is great for SCUBA diving. Lots of neat things to see down there. I don't know if it's something your niece, or you, would like to try, but I do teach a course where no experience is needed. The it includes all gear and the 20 minute class. We would be at the same site as above, but there are crystals to be found deeper, fish to feed, crayfish and really nice geological features to look at. The pictures on my website of the fish were all taken at this dive site. If the price isn't an issue, I would recommend this over the snorkeling as it is much more exciting. Your niece would have to be 10, as that's the minimum age for the diving. That trip takes about 3 hours and you do a dive to 15-20 feet maximum, but mostly your about 8-15 feet deep for about 1 hour with me guiding and controlling your gear. This is all very safe and fun for the adventurous and allows you to be with the fish. Let me know if you have more questions or if you'd like to book an outing.
Thanks- Mark
"

Last edited:
Hi DoctorMike

If we could see some of what's in that video at Dutch Springs, it'd be quite a nice day.

I'm looking for a day trip from Poughkeepsie. At most, needing to stay overnight in a hotel to get an early start, but not a long drive to get there. 1-2 hours drive, not 3-4 hours. It'd have to be snorkeling with "visiblity when snorkeling", not diving.

I've kept an open mind to the air trips, but it's too expensive. The blue heron caught my attention because I have relatives there that I owe a visit to, so maybe if I could find a cheap flight. But it really is too expensive to add airtravel (plus then there'd be another kid who'd want to come along.) Even so, they are great ideas for me to keep in mind for future years when she's older & travel's come down in price.

So Dutch Springs is a little far at 2 1/2 hours. But the random fish on the video & ground cover would do. So how do I go to the "you have to know where to go" spots?

That's the east end near the pump house, where people rarely dive and where there are koi, bluegill, bass and a big albino catfish in the shallows along the shore.

Dutch052613 - 01.jpgDutch052613 - 06.jpgDutch052613 - 12.jpg

I don't know what the rules are about snorkeling there, you should call them and ask. I know that I have seen free divers in deeper areas of the quarry, but I have never seen snorkelers in the shallows. The water temps are a bit chilly, but in the shallow areas, especially later on in the season, it should be up in the 70s...

Dutch is fun in general, and if you can make a weekend of it, you can camp there overnight and the other end of the lake is open for kids to just swim in (they have a lot of slides, inflatable toys, etc...). Check out the website!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom