Hi from eastern NY - a question already...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, how about...

Shark Reef Lagoon
Shark Reef Lagoon is home to stingrays, bamboo sharks, and other tropical fish. While it’s fun to observe these creatures from above, it’s even more fun to share the water with them.

From July to September, visitors of all ages (children must be beyond diaper age, and accompanied by an adult if under 7) can Snorkel with the Rays in Shark Reef Lagoon. It’s an opportunity to experience the beauty and magic of tropical snorkeling – right on Long Island.

Thanks Doctormike! There's talk on their website & in yelp comments about snorkeling. I'd call before going of course.

Has anyone been to Lake Taconic, in NY?

My mom's sure there's some fish to see with low key "snorkeling" near the shore. (As in swimming near the shore but putting on a mask to see what happens to be bopping around.) She's thinking my niece will be happy enough with that, & while it's not GC's, my mom's a grandma so she's older & wiser than me.

So anyone have any experience there? (I've been for beach & swimming.)

I'm going to run all these ideas by my niece & see what she takes a liking to. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with something. Which of course will make me happy.

Hello TurtleCurls

I live around West Point area and have dove most of upstate lakes and can tell you visibility for snorkling is poor. Lake Minneawaska- you cannot see 1ft. I would suggest Dutch Springs as best location for young child,water park is open till labor day and you will surely see fish (Koi, widemouth Bass and trout). You will need floatation devices and buddy up with another person.

@pconsidine
That's great that you direct experience. Have you by any chance been to Crystal Island in Lake George. It's much closer than Dutch Springs & sounds nice. Also can you see in Lake Taconic (though I don't know that there's even one fish in there to see.)

She's 9 turning 10 so not that young, but not that old. Can you tell me where at Dutch Springs is a good spot for snorkeling?

DoctorMike posted on page 2 a video of Dutch springs & said the spot he'd go to is
"That's the east end near the pump house, where people rarely dive and where there are koi, bluegill, bass and a big albino catfish in the shallows along the shore."

Thank you for your thoughts!!!

Hi...

Don't know if you saw this, but it looks like Dutch Springs now has organized snorkeling tours for kids: Dutch Springs - Snorkeling Tours

I was there this weekend and saw some beautiful aquatic life in the shallows, including lots of juveniles, some friendly sunfish, and was even able to snag a few shots of the elusive koi of the east end! Dutch Springs, 7/20/13

Well, finally got to ask my niece & got an answer. She's interested in the 4 hour away, tropical fish catch in Sept in Rhode Island!! We'll do it as a family trip, stay in hotel 2 nights, bring her sister too. We've been watching videos of the various suggestions & ooing & aaing.

For her birthday itself, I'm taking her to a movie, ice cream & clothes shopping. Much more low key.

@DoctorMike - just went through the photos, really nice!

I'll show them to my nieces tomorrow. Even if we don't go this year (who knows), it's great to know they've started snorkeling tours at Dutch Spring... cause I bet by next year we'll be up for it. Thanks so much for taking time to post this!

Maybe I'll have time to get perscription goggles? (I want for swimming pool swimming away.) Not sure if those small goggles can be used with snorkeling, but it'd be fun for me, if I can see more of what I'm looking at in the water.

Maybe I'll have time to get perscription goggles? (I want for swimming pool swimming away.) Not sure if those small goggles can be used with snorkeling, but it'd be fun for me, if I can see more of what I'm looking at in the water.

For snorkeling you need a mask, and no problem getting prescription lenses. If you have a basic prescription, you can get some that just stick in, or you can treat yourself and get them made by an experienced diving optician like I did... Mine are actually see-unders, so that I can read the gauges but also have distance vision without needing bifocals.

@ Doctormike
"you can get some that just stick in," Cool! I'll be able to see the fish :)

@DiverSteve
Thanks for the great link. Boy that makes this easy :)

Back
Top Bottom