HOG Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what the minimum requirements to take the class is, but I took it today, and even if I weren't going to service my own regulators, it was a great class to take. We did the regs, the wing inflators (which I already knew how to do) and manifolds, which I had never taken apart. It was great fun, and I have a much more thorough understanding of how the equipment I am using actually works. And luckily, I have local support, so the next time I want to take apart a first stage, I can do it under supervision. (We did two second stages, one being coached and one on my own, and they're much simpler. But there was only one first stage.)

Kudos to Chris for giving scuba gear owners credit for being smart enough to learn to do this!

If you don't mind me asking, who did you take the class with?

thanks!

Lynn, I just saw your class report and it looks like it was well worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I can't believe how well these low priced regs breathe !! Funny thing...they look identical to my buddies Apeks....:)

Gonna order two more sets!

I have been thinking about getting a set myself. The reviews are great, and the price is awesome.
What regs are you comparing the Hog regs to when you say that you can't believe how well they breath?

I dive HOGs because they are IMO the same as APeKs.

Could you please tell me in what way you consider them the same as Apeks?

Are Hog regs designed / manufactured in Taiwan?

Quite possibly. Have a look at Ocean Dive Supplies (Taiwan)....you will see a lot of familiar regs on there. I'm sure if you are a "manufacturer" ordering from them there is also a certain amount of customisation options available. And I know that a "satin" is an available finish for them!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hydreliox
.we all still love Harley Davidson's right?

Not particularly.

Could you avoid misquoting me please.... :wink:

They only way to determine how "similar" Apeks/Hogs would be and how they breathe like for like would be to see the ANSTI results. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be interested to see the comparison.

They are practically copies for the DST (d1) and DS4 (D2/epic v2) except you can service them yourself....

As far as I am concerned you can service any reg yourself if you know how. Its really not that complicated, but you should have somebody experienced show you what to do first time around. Just my 2c and I'm sure some will consider it wreckless and dangerous to not have them serviced by a LDS :wink:

Personally I picked up the airstream press book on regulators and read it cover to cover. Then I read the apeks manuals cover to cover. Then I tried to find videos on rebuilding regulators but couldn't find many other than some old scuba pro regs. I bought the tools and began working on my own regulators. I didn't have anyone telling me how to do something. I did it myself. I also work only on my regs so responsibility starts and stops with me.

My reasons for rebuilding my regulators was a mix of curiosity of whats in there brought on by my LDS suggesting that a reg should only be worked on by them as well as the financial side. I wanted Apeks, 3 sets so I did the math in my head. 3 sets from my LDS would be about $2000 plus $300 in annual servicing. I know this because my dive buddy and instructor had done the same thing.

What I did was buy three sets of HOGs, immersed myself in all the information that was available and decided to rebuild my regs. I've already saved money even though my outlook was from the standpoint that this was going to be a lifelong hobby and passion of mine. The other major benefit from what I did was that I now deal with a company that when I call them I talk to the same person every time, the owner. Chris Richardson is great to work with. For all the apeks dealers will never understand why people are buying HOGs, and I would say its more than just the regulator.

Back
Top Bottom