Do rotating turrets really matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All my regs so far don't have them. I thought I should give them a try so I picked up a pair of ScubaPro MK25 regs. My understanding is the rotating turret helps reduce mouth strain from tugging on hoses. These move smoothly so I think they are fine but I find it hard to believe they are going to move enough to make much of a difference vs. my non-rotating Deep6, Aqualung or Apeks regs. I'm not sorry I bought them because I have become a gear hound and want to try everything (Scubaboard classifieds just feed my sickness). Admittedly, I haven't used them yet but are they really worth the price difference?
The next time we dive together, remind me and you can dive my rec rig... It has a swivel, but only because I want all my regs to be the same/interchangeable. I haven't noticed a difference in single tank back mount.

the MK25 has a 5th port on the the end of the turret. since it rotates around the axis, that would count as fixed.

What is the overall likely hood of a ScubaPro MK25 having any catastrophic failure? All possibilities of the regulator failing on a dive? Extremely low. A cheapo Ali Baba first stage with no swivel isn't going to be more reliable than the MK25 because they didn't include a swivel. It was just a cheap piece of cr*p without a swivel. I would buy the regulator based on the overall evaluation of the equipment, rather than it's PERCEIVED flaw by a someone on ScubaBoard.

If you can google regulator failures and find reviews that describe first hand accounts in either the real world or under test conditions that show it as a failure point, I wouldn't worry. I would focus on the overall performance of the product.
A Mk25 has a rotating turret, as did the MK20, MK15, MK10, and MK5. It is not fixed. If someone wants a 5th port and a fixed turret they can buy an Atomic Z2, which is a high-performance regulator. I have no idea where you are getting Ali Baba from. However, the same companies that sell on Ali Baba are OEMs for some well-regarded products on SB.

The Scubapro MK21 has an option for a 5th port and did not use a rotating turret, in the past Scubapro also made versions of the MK5 and MK10 (MK6? and MK9?) that had a 5th port and a non-rotating turret. Evidently, some divers do prefer a non-rotating turret, but most don't or are indifferent. Given the fact that these regulators were not very popular.

When I responded to your post, I mentioned that I remember maybe 2 incidents were divers said the turret came off. I didn't remember what brand of regulator (MK5) it was. What I do remember was it was attributed to bad servicing not a design flaw. Given the MK25 is the last model in a long line of Scubapro turret regulators I would hope all the bugs have been worked out. So I agree the probability of failure in a properly serviced regulator is low.

I never said that a rotating turret is a PERCIEVED flaw, and I never said it was a failure point either. I understand the DIR/Hog philosophy and agree with it for technical diving. However, for recreational diving some recommendations are overkill. I also agree that some divers take failure point analysis to the extreme.

Given the MK25 is the last model in a long line of Scubapro turret regulators

No, it isn't. The MK19 Evo is the latest model:p

I use turrets on side, and BO, no turrets on doubles (use first generation xstreams - in line at right, 90° at left) who routes really well! But, if take account on gas sharing for doubles or side, depending on the way you route, you may gain as far as 20 to 25 cm "more hose" for the receiver, so that's a point tô take.
All about preference

The next time we dive together, remind me and you can dive my rec rig... It has a swivel, but only because I want all my regs to be the same/interchangeable. I haven't noticed a difference in single tank back mount.
Hopefully I'll have at least one of these set up by then and can use my own. But I'll try yours otherwise., I expect I'd have to pull pretty hard on a flexible hose to rotate a turret behind my head. No regrets on the purchase but it might be my last unless it's transformational.

Hopefully I'll have at least one of these set up by then and can use my own. But I'll try yours otherwise., I expect I'd have to pull pretty hard on a flexible hose to rotate a turret behind my head. No regrets on the purchase but it might be my last unless it's transformational.
Knowing you, let me say I doubt you'll find it transformational. :)

And in this case, I agree.

Looking forward to seeing you both when the season changes!

No, it isn't. The MK19 Evo is the latest model:p
I was talking about piston regulators, which I suspect you understood. If you notice I did not mention the MK-18 (or MK14) in the lineage of the MK25 because they are diaphragm first stages. But you are right I should have been more specific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom