Do rotating turrets really matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
All my regs so far don't have them. I thought I should give them a try so I picked up a pair of ScubaPro MK25 regs. My understanding is the rotating turret helps reduce mouth strain from tugging on hoses. These move smoothly so I think they are fine but I find it hard to believe they are going to move enough to make much of a difference vs. my non-rotating Deep6, Aqualung or Apeks regs. I'm not sorry I bought them because I have become a gear hound and want to try everything (Scubaboard classifieds just feed my sickness). Admittedly, I haven't used them yet but are they really worth the price difference?

Seems like just another point of failure for very little gain.
I love my Atomic 1st stage LP swivel turrets. I find it helps a bit with hose routing - not mouth strain: the comfort swivel on the 2nd stages help nicely with that. I’ve had no issues with either nor have I heard of anyone having issues!

Having used both in backmount and sidemount, I never developed a preference. The turret can make hose routing neater though.

People bitch about swivel turrets being a failure point, and other people would bitch if they didn’t have swivel turrets.
How do we win here?

Not bitching. Just trying to understand. These are my first so I have not experienced a failure. I just thought they would move more freely... Maybe not likely with an o-ring.

You didn't mention your configuration. In doubles and sidemount, swivel turrets and fifth ports make for excellent hose routing. In a single tank backmount configuration, it just doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom